Megger MFT1721 FUS indication

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomatina

Reaction score
Today i had the megger dropped from a meter height and is now showing the FUS code.

Checked the fuses, Both are good. Contacts look very good. New batteries installed but still get the same code. I did the reset just in case but no results.

This Megger is not in the warranty, is quite old and used. So now i tried to open it just to check if there is any wire, fuse or something visible lose caused by the drop.

My issue how do you open it ? Looks quite cumbersome and difficult. Anyone tried to open it ? I search to find somebody but cant seem to find anyone who did that.

viber_image_2021-04-14_18-07-22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it may be trying to say something else starting "fu" but doesn't have the necessary vocabulary.

Seriously, most likely problem after a drop is a cracked PCB which may be repairable with a bit of solder link bridging.

I've no real idea how to open the case, except, (just maybe),  that gear I've dealt with in the past which has those stick on foil faceplates often have screws concealed behind the foil, which is removed and replaced with new in a manufacturer's repair. 

You can often locate the screw cavity by firm pressure with a finger nail and just poke a small screwdriver through to unscrew the case with minimal damage to the foil, leaving the screw retained.

Looks like its a part came of from the pcb...weird because was solder on pcb...
there are no screws under the sticker. I remove only the bottom 6 screws and pull out the lead contact panel and came out like a candy bar

viber_image_2021-04-14_21-07-59.jpg

Looks like its a part came of from the pcb...weird because was solder on pcb...
there are no screws under the sticker. I remove only the bottom 6 screws and pull out the lead contact panel and came out like a candy bar

View attachment 11338

Are you sure its is not a push-fit component?

Those pins all look quite clean to me..

looks a bit like a miniature relay from the underside to me...?

:C

Looks a straightforward fix. That's almost certainly a relay and it also looks to have never been properly soldered.  How's access to the other side of the board?

Looks a straightforward fix. That's almost certainly a relay and it also looks to have never been properly soldered.  How's access to the other side of the board?
4 more screws and can access the other side too. I thought megger could make it hard for ppl to access the insides but looks like a very thoughtful design. Very easy to open ,no special tools or hidden screws, just need to know how to pull out the leads panel out.

My only issue is the solder job done on these relays but could be on purpose so they can service it quick and easy. Relays can get their contacts break or burn easy. So...