Memlite Lamp restoration

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha ha, I've no idea why it was just too cheap to pass up this French lamp, less work electrically ie everything works though it will need a re-wire, main issue will be making a weighted base as it's a heavy beast, photos to follow though I may not re paint this one?

I find them all over the place, once you start looking they're everywhere, local car boots and flea markets are good sources also a friend goes over to France frequently and we've been a few times to the big antique fair in Amiens.... 

Yes I think this one will just get re wired (thanks to the advice I've been given on here) a new base fitted and just a clean and laquer or waxing....the Memlite paint was too far gone hence the complete re paint!

Ha ha ha, no their engineering is pretty good and reliable though their chrome plating is very suspect indeed!

Times been tight of late so not had chance to do much to the lamp, however the recent snow has given me some hire due to a couple of short work days. Here's it in pieces, there was a flaw in the plan as I intended to run three core right through to the tubes.....however there was a catch as the two swivels are pinned on so no way will three core go through!

20180303_161133-1.jpg

You can see the pin through the swivel here, which explains why originally a separate earth was run, why would it be completely un insulated though?

20180303_160327-1-1.jpg

Inside the base showing bakelite connector, inside of swivel and earthing arrangement.

20180303_161133-1-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: