Memlite transformer question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamator

Reaction score
Hello, I picked up a memlite with a low voltage transformer. I would like to bypass the transformer but still use the lamp switch if possible. I'm not sure where to start but would really appreciate if any one has any tips.

Thanks,

Adam

There is no reason why this cannot be done. The original output from the transformer was 24v so it needs checking that secondary parts from the transformer are suitable for 230v.

Why can't you leave it at 24v? (Lots of 24v lamps and LED lamps available on line) have you never wondered why it was made to run at 24v? To change it, as fleeting says the light fitting would need to be checked to see if it would be safe to run at mains voltage, it will probably need re wiring as well, also the switch may need to be changed (It may be only rated up to 50v, and you need it to be 230v)

I am fairly certain the switch is suitably rated as from memory it switched the primary so the transformer isn't always live.