metal conduit links?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddha

Reaction score
hi guys,does anyone know any web links or good dvds on the subject of conduit bending.

i go to one of those olci colleges and keep getting fobbed off by the lecturers with comments like "you just got to play around with it","its been a long time since i did it ,you'll have to just have a go".

i realise its a bit of a knack,but i'd like to get started with some basic rules,techniques,methods of measuring etc,how what and where to measure from etc.

have any of you come across any decent tutorials on the net,i havent been able to come up with anything that seems relevant to what i need to do to get through college and have half a chance at work.

any advise would be great.

One of the good generic electrical installation books should have something about conduit bending in it. If you have any further difficulties PM Me. Also, these short courses are designed for domestic wiring, so metal conduit generally isnt used as a rule.

AndyGuinness

hi guys,does anyone know any web links or good dvds on the subject of conduit bending.i go to one of those olci colleges and keep getting fobbed off by the lecturers with comments like "you just got to play around with it","its been a long time since i did it ,you'll have to just have a go".

i realise its a bit of a knack,but i'd like to get started with some basic rules,techniques,methods of measuring etc,how what and where to measure from etc.

have any of you come across any decent tutorials on the net,i havent been able to come up with anything that seems relevant to what i need to do to get through college and have half a chance at work.

any advise would be great.
Ex OLCI student here , to be fair they can show you but they have a point in saying that you need to tinker with it.. you should have received a book with guidance thats as good as anything out there.

http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_basics_bending_conduit_2/

http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=122126

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PIPE-CONDUIT-BENDING-METHODS-BENDER-RECORD-HILMOR-8_W0QQitemZ220724236103QQcategoryZ122844QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D220696185712%252B220696185712%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6346238175663432921

I took home some spare bits and borrowed a mates bending machine and practiced prior to my level 2 practical..

i'm also an ex OLCI student and my tutor was very good and showed me a few techniques but he also said that i've paid my money so I can play around and waste as much as I wanted for extra practice!

i'm also an ex OLCI student and my tutor was very good and showed me a few techniques but he also said that i've paid my money so I can play around and waste as much as I wanted for extra practice!
I see your location is Tyne and Wear were you fortunate enough to attend the centre in Newcastle ?

It was in the process of being set up when I was studying so it was Livingstone for me each time , all students were local I was obviously in digs so when we finished early they all cleared off and I stayed til 6pm practicing steel conduit bends , SWA , MICC etc and generally asking questions :p

I see your location is Tyne and Wear were you fortunate enough to attend the centre in Newcastle ?It was in the process of being set up when I was studying so it was Livingstone for me each time , all students were local I was obviously in digs so when we finished early they all cleared off and I stayed til 6pm practicing steel conduit bends , SWA , MICC etc and generally asking questions :p
Yes mate, I studied at Newcastle centre but had to attend the Leeds centre and Liverpool centre for two of my practicals assessments due to the dates not being available. Dave the tutor is very good and knows his stuff but will leave you to it to see if you have done your learning etc. I'll be going back for my 2391 soon.