Metal conduit!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just been told today, by Bob DIY, that you cannot re-use the old painted steel conduit that you find in some houses? :| ?:|

He was apparantly told this by another local contractor (who does make a meal of things)..

Am I missing something or is this total balls???

I reuse old conduit all the time. The only thing is that I don't use it as an earth anymore, I always run a seperate earth nowadays. :D

D.o you mean split conduit as in switch drops....Make sure you have rccd protection.

If it's there & makes my life easier I use it, but same as Mr S I dont use it as a cpc but then you wouldnt with T/E would you.

Make sure you have rccd protection.
Thats a given these days :p

I think someone is looking at this like unearthed steel capping. Neither meet the new regs re Rcbo's and 50mm etc. I have not bothered to earth if their inaccessible, but if the conduit/capping can be touched then it should be bonded

I am not thinking about using the split conduit as mechanical protection only as an unearthed steel capping. Obviously given that we are now working to the 17th and that these cables will be <50mm deep then they will be RCD protected..

I am not thinking about using the split conduit as mechanical protection only as an unearthed steel capping. Obviously given that we are now working to the 17th and that these cables will be <50mm deep then they will be RCD protected..
Hell, use it. Why go to the trouble of hacking it out and replacing it when it's there already?

That's my normal thought and will continue to be....I thought that this guy was talking bull ....

...but it was worthwhile checking it out!!
Nothing wrong with second opinions. :)