Metal trunking.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigclive

Reaction score
See if the UK had a REAL electrical standards agency. They'd standardise metal trunking lid so that no matter which brand you got it would be compatible with the lip on any other. they could also standardise the joins and angles so the holes were compatible.

It's kinda annoying when you're on site somewhere and the labourers "tidy" all your trunking lid into a skip and you get sent a different brand that doesn't latch on properly.

And as for those horrible plastic rotating clips that just chew up no matter what driver you use.....

Are you kidding !!! The UK Electrical Trade do something right !!! Huh !!! It took years to get a standard plug and socket and dump the round pin 2a- 5a- 15a- 2pin/ 3pin . And don't start me on MCBs , except for Starbreaker / Stablock and Square D they all have dinrail mounting but are stilll different shapes and sizes, Pathetic.

And whose bloody stupid idea was it to dump stranded 7/029 T/E and introduce 2.5 in solid strand crap. We also had fluorescent tubes with different caps for years.

Same with lighting tracks , every one different profile.

Not forgetting of course that the round pin 15A plug is still widely used in the theatre industry to prevent cleaners plugging their hoovers into dimmers. The newer 15A plugs do have sleeved pins and the sockets are shuttered.

(That's just in case any of you go to PAT test a schools stage and cut all their "old" plugs off.)

I wish they'd standardise on conduit bends as well. I can make up three identical bits of 20mm conduit and they're all different. ROTFWL