Meter box question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a surface meter box that consists of a seperate back plate and the main body & door fitted on afterwards ?    

Reason I ask is we are arranging a supply cable to be resited by local DNO but of course it has to done on THEIR terms .        An extension is to build on the side of a house and the existing gas meter plus the new electric supply will be eventually be indoors in a small utility cupboard with door to outside.   Meanwhile it has to be weatherproof.

Meanwhile they will turn up at their convenience and fit new supply on outside wall  . When the utility cupboard is built & finished the surface meter box will impare access and will have to be removed ...probably at double cost to customer.    

Yes that would be the best idea Andy .   I did it on a similar re-site supply ...the DNO guy was NOT happy because the chippy was coming the following day  ( WHich he did)   I'd got some PVC to tuck in round the metering , but he threw his toys out of the pram , phoned his boss ,    I had to speak to him ...  then he told the fitter  to get on with it .

Trouble with these guys is ...anything not in their remit and they can't cope ,  perhaps I could get Miss Sweedy to do it .

I don't know who the builders will be but if they had it made up ready I think that would satisfy them .    When the extension is done it can easily be removed.

I could make it myself for that matter .

Gas meter boxes are like what you want. Wonder what the DNO would think of that?

This is just like a new build, and it's normal to get the DNO to move the supply into a temporary outside box on a post. Because it's temporary they don't care what it is and I have seen old kitchen cupboards used with a bit of roofing felt tacked on top.

Build the extension, install a duct of the correct colour for your DNO and leave a drawstring in it. Then when you are ready get the DNO to relocate it again to it's permanent location.

On my new build I have avoided that. My meter box is built into a section of fence on my boundary, and that's where it's staying for good. KMF feeds a SWA to the house. That meant I only had to pay once for the supply and no need to pay for it to be moved later. Plus no ugly meter box on my wall spoiling the appearance and compromising the insulation.

Gas meter boxes are like what you want. Wonder what the DNO would think of that?

This is just like a new build, and it's normal to get the DNO to move the supply into a temporary outside box on a post. Because it's temporary they don't care what it is and I have seen old kitchen cupboards used with a bit of roofing felt tacked on top.

Build the extension, install a duct of the correct colour for your DNO and leave a drawstring in it. Then when you are ready get the DNO to relocate it again to it's permanent location.

On my new build I have avoided that. My meter box is built into a section of fence on my boundary, and that's where it's staying for good. KMF feeds a SWA to the house. That meant I only had to pay once for the supply and no need to pay for it to be moved later. Plus no ugly meter box on my wall spoiling the appearance and compromising the insulation.
They're not interested in that Dave ,  they didn't listen to the customer ...they will come when they are ready ...chop the existing cable , joint a bit on ..up outside wall into a meter box .     Not fitting with the new build 'cos they just get their bit done & move on.    Then get them back to remove meter box when building is finished . 

How about using a surface one

when job is done get a multi tool ( you KNOW you want one)

slice around the sides

remove box

leave backplate

trim up,cut edges with some timber mitred at corners

simples 
Yes  I'm using a surface one anyway and it did cross my mind that I could run my jigsaw round it  but wouldn't look too nice .   

I think I'll wait until the day , have a meter box on standby but talk to the DNO guy about us making an enclosure which would be removed when building is weathertight.

Hello Evans electric I'm a jointer, if the meter is staying in that position once the extension is built just unscrew the internal meter board attached to the box and cut a channel like kerching has suggested then slide the box of and resecure the board.

Ah  Good idea  ...yeah that would quite easy .     I'll go with that suggestion .    I just imagined them charging another £200  to come out to remove box .  My consumer unit will be above it by then , I can do it all in one go . 

Nice one  Addyboy,

Do you work for your local DNO or a private cable firm ? 

Yeah !  Probably did knowing their prices.

If I remember correctly on the last service move we did ,  there were 5  operatives involved .

Two  to dig & expose cable .

Two to joint a new bit on & fit cut-out.

One  to move the meter to new position.

Original two to re-instate the ground  .

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts