Microwave Oven repair?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

Joined
Nov 28, 2009
Messages
14,165
Reaction score
471
Has anyone tried one?

I have a built in AEG combination oven, the microwave does not work. so I thought I would have a look.

There does not appear to be very much that is servicable.

The high voltage diode tests okay.  There was a 5kV 800mA fuse that had blown.  In spite of being labelled 5kV it looked no different to any other 1 1/4" glass fuse. So I put the nearest I had, a 1A fuse in there.

Still the microwave is not working but the new fuse has not blown.

That's about as far as I have got.  Is there anything else I can try before I scrap it?  My guess is the magnetron has failed and that is what blew the fuse?

 

septiclecky

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2008
Messages
1,841
Reaction score
7
Location
Wirral
Probably cheaper to get a new one than buy a mew magnetron, thats if you can get one

 

Geoff1946

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 8, 2016
Messages
1,646
Reaction score
233
Location
Blackpool
Had the fuse failed on overload, (usually vapourising the wire and metalising the glass), or was it clean?  They can just fail from ageing, though I would have expected it to work again when replaced.

If it blew the fuse, then doesn't blow a replacement, I would guess the transformer secondary has gone OC too.

 
Joined
Nov 28, 2009
Messages
14,165
Reaction score
471
The fuse blew clean, no vapourising.  I will do some continuity checks on the transformer secondary. (not something you can test for output voltage easily being such a high voltage)

 
Top