Minimum Quals for own re-wire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthFeder

Reaction score
Good Afternoon Gents

Hope I could get a bit of guidance as I'm reading contradictory information online. I have been an Electrical Systems Engineer in the marine industry for 6 years, mainly working on HV propulsion systems but I have no domestic qualifications. I've just been quoted £4000 to rewire my house. Whole lot needs ripping out, still has the old wire fuse panel etc. Can you tell me what I would need to do to legally rewire my own home? I've looked at the domestic installer (18 day) course but from what I can see that doesn't qualify you to change a consumer unit, even though it's covered on the course. I have no intention to do any work for anyone , just my own home. I know id need 18th edition, building regs etc. 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

£4K for a rewire sounds low tbh but if you consider a short course that won’t teach you much will be around £7k then the rewire looks good value especially when you add in the part p fees, proper tester etc etc

maybe ask the chap that’s quoted if he would allow you to help / do some of the work to save money

Last edited by a moderator:
£4K for a rewire sounds low tbh but if you consider a short course that won’t teach you much will be around £7k then the rewire looks good value especially when you add in the part p fees, proper tester etc etc

maybe ask the chap that’s quoted if he would allow you to help / do some of the work to save money
Thanks for your swift reply. Ah yes, it was a "guesstimation" over the phone but the guys got very good reviews so I'd trust it to be close. Property is in the North east. 

This is what is confusing me, one person saying you need this this and this then other people saying you don't need much at all. I'm 100% confident if I had the regs at hand I'd be able to follow them and do a very good job. Is this possible? Just get the building regs and 18th edition books and do the job. Then what, report to the council to get a cert? 

That's a very good idea about asking if I could lend a hand. Cheers again!

legally... not much at all. not even any electrical qualifications. only thing youd need to comply with is building regs
Thanks for your reply. I've answered you in the reply to the above could comment. Cheers! 

1 minute ago, DarthFeder said:. I'm 100% confident if I had the regs at hand I'd be able to follow them and do a very good job. Is this possible? Just get the building regs and 18th edition books and do the job. Then what, report to the council to get a cert? 
oh dear

to get quotes you can compare write up the spec for people to quote against including the preferred finish colour of accessories then get people round

don’t forget internet cabling, tv cabling, outside lights, circuits for oven, hob and immersion. Rcbo board

I’m in the south so can’t comment on pricing but others might give you some pointers

Thanks for your reply. I've answered you in the reply to the above could comment. Cheers! 

longer version... nothing says you must be qualified... BS7671 & various others require you to be competent. pretty much only legal document is electricity at work act which if this is a DIY job then arguably it wouldnt apply to you

youd need to speak to your local council planning department. they would be responsible for signing it off for part p compliance. some will accept an EIC from the person doing the work, its what i often do on larger jobs where theres already planning permission for the property. if its jut you then id expect they would be sending someone to check / test the work. no idea on costs for that part

longer version... nothing says you must be qualified... BS7671 & various others require you to be competent. pretty much only legal document is electricity at work act which if this is a DIY job then arguably it wouldnt apply to you

youd need to speak to your local council planning department. they would be responsible for signing it off for part p compliance. some will accept an EIC from the person doing the work, its what i often do on larger jobs where theres already planning permission for the property. if its jut you then id expect they would be sending someone to check / test the work. no idea on costs for that part
Thank you very much for your reply and info. I'll get in touch with Stockton council and see what they say. I'd say I'm definitely competent just need to be sure I'm following the rules in case I sell the house on. So hopefully, I can get my self a copy of building regs and 18th edition, do the work and then council can send someone out (incurs a charge) who will test the work and issue a certificate, is that correct? 

Thanks again, Rich 

Another take on this, if you are not planning to sell it, is should you happen to do something that needs building regs approval, but don't tell them, they can only take enforcement action for a sort period of time, I think it is 4 years. If you feel you can not tell anyone for that length of time then there is nothing they can do if they find out.

When you come to sell the house later, a buyer might get a bit uppity at the lack of paperwork, but historical non compliance of building regs can usually be sorted out with an indemnity policy.

This is not advice, just pointing out some facts.

Councils attitudes vary widely, even between neighbouring ones. One I know shows an inspection fee for electrical work on their website but have said in writing they do not in fact offer that service and suggest you use a scheme member.

As stated above, you could try to find a sparky who will give you guidance, sign the sytem off, provide cert and do things like the board, but will allow you to do the donkey work. 

Kind of best of both worlds as you save money but know it's all compliant. 

Have an electrician around, walk the job explain what you want and where. Take on board any suggestions. Offer to do the chasing, making good, lifting floors etc. 
he may or may not let you assist with pulling in cables, but remember he still needs to earn a wage as it is his living. 

you get a cheaper job with peace of mind you know where it is all installed and it’s compliant and safe. 

Another take on this, if you are not planning to sell it, is should you happen to do something that needs building regs approval, but don't tell them, they can only take enforcement action for a sort period of time, I think it is 4 years. If you feel you can not tell anyone for that length of time then there is nothing they can do if they find out.

When you come to sell the house later, a buyer might get a bit uppity at the lack of paperwork, but historical non compliance of building regs can usually be sorted out with an indemnity policy.

This is not advice, just pointing out some facts.
That's the plan but you never know what's round the corner. Thanks for the reply and advice 😁

Thanks everyone for the reply. I'm definitely going to email the council tomorrow and see what they say. Cant find any info on their website. Next port of call, see if I can get a proper leccy round to have a chat.  I'm on ships until July so hopefully I'll have something planned.

Thanks again 😁

That's the plan but you never know what's round the corner. Thanks for the reply and advice 😁

Thanks everyone for the reply. I'm definitely going to email the council tomorrow and see what they say. Cant find any info on their website. Next port of call, see if I can get a proper leccy round to have a chat.  I'm on ships until July so hopefully I'll have something planned.

Thanks again 😁

You need to search for building control fees....

Think you said earlier Stockton Council?

If so..  from my googling..

looks like £399.60 for a domestic dwelling rewire??

https://www.stockton.gov.uk/media/1962016/table-c-pending-updated-with-colour-221220-accessible.pdf

Bottom of the table item 5.

That PDF was found from the "How much does its cost links for "Single Domestic Dwellings"..

off here..

https://www.stockton.gov.uk/our-places/planning-and-building-control/building-control/

welcome to the forumbulator...

You've done well getting coherent answers on a Friday, before a bank holiday weekend..

As most members are normally downing a few essential weekend lubrication potions!! 

so I'm told!!!   :innocent

Guinness   :Y Guinness Guinness Guinness :Y :Y :Y

Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness

:Y :Y Guinness Guinness Guinness

:Salute

:coat

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just bought a house.  On the property information form,  the owners admit electrical work has been done since 2005 but offer no certification. If I was really bothered, I would insist on an EICR being done. So you can deduce that any Tom, Dick or Harry could have wired the house. Competent or not. Certification only becomes an issue if someone gets hurt because of dodgy work, or if you want to sell the house. Just my 2p