Minor question - UV exposure and kitchen questions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reetep

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks in anticipation for any advice. I recently had a new kitchen fitted. The guys seem to have done a neat job.

However, I'm unsure about exposed cables under the wall cabinets. I had heard that PVC cables are vulnerable to UV light - should these cables (pictured) be protected by trunking or are they ok?

South facing kitchen but not directly exposed to sunlight - only ambient light.

Thanks all.

Peter

Attachments

• Under cupboards.jpg
    Under cupboards.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 33
And if you are seriously worried about UV...
why have you not mentioned the mains flex supplying the kettle, that is even more exposed!!!?

There are far too many myths and old-wives-tales about all sorts of electrical related stuff in my opinion...
And the internet can be a breeding ground for them.

As you say a relatively neat job..
some of these under cabinet lights come with pre-fitted lengths of flex that go onto miniature plug & socket arrangements,
so sometimes its not possible to cut any excess flex shorter, leaving the type of strapped up arrangement you have.

Sorry but they got that all wrong.
Power pack and power supply goes on top of cupboard and the elv cable drops down behind cupboard and attaches to light or if needs be you fish the cable down a back corner of cupboard inside it’s far neater?

Sorry but they got that all wrong.
Power pack and power supply goes on top of cupboard and the elv cable drops down behind cupboard and attaches to light or if needs be you fish the cable down a back corner of cupboard inside it’s far neater?

Some cabinets go right up the ceiling height...
OR have negligible space on top..

Can't tell from the photo if there would have been enough room or not?

Really to ceiling height! Not many people will reach them! Of course you could have the open door pull down type until the mechanism fails then they are either; Open door type or never close door type?

Really to ceiling height! Not many people will reach them! Of course you could have the open door pull down type until the mechanism fails then they are either; Open door type or never close door type?

That's what kitchen stools are for! :cool:

Our kitchen cabinets do not go up the the ceiling..
But there is a various array of lesser-used pots & pans sitting on top of a few of them..
For which we use the "stand-on-stool" access method...

Which I guess you would use if you had tall cabinets fitted..

My daughter & son-in-law are looking at replacing their kitchen this year,
and they were showing me some options comparing standard height & tall cabinets.

Which is one of the reasons I know they exist!!! :D

Our kitchen cabinets do not go up the the ceiling..
But there is a various array of lesser-used pots & pans sitting on top of a few of them..
For which we use the "stand-on-stool" access method...
:D

and you can easily argue that having the power supply etc on the top is going to be subject to impact damage unlike where it is in this thread

That is actually quite neat compared to what some kitchen fitters do. You don't normally see it thanks to the pelmet along the front bottom edge of the wall unit. Just don't mention it to the wife and she will never notice it.