moral dilemma.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jibspark

Electrician
Reaction score
OK, i got a call today from a landlady asking me to go her tennant's house as they have no lighting and the extractor for the cooker isn't working. i explained that it was a call out and will be charged accordingly, she had no problem with this.

i went to the tennant's address at 5pm today and it would appear a tranny for the lighting has gone, the extractor hood needs further investigation, the tenant told me they weren't fussed about getting it sorted today so i told them i would come back on Saturday as its costing the landlady more money for me to look into it on a call out. all in all i was there for about 20mins / half hour. called the land lady and told her all this and explained that as agreed its a minimum of one hour on a call out and she had no problems.

but im now sat here thinking i should only charge for 30mins!

am i just being soft?

EH?!do you mean 3 to 4 times normal rate?
long long ago when i was on the books if you was called out to a job for even 10mins you got 4hrs pay

i would charge for an hr, you have travel there and back plus time there.

but usually depends on the customer really what i charge.. an old lady alone and scared would be charged considerably less on a call out than a big house with 3 cars on the drive and husband sat watching a 42 inch flat screen. you generally get a feel when u get there. :)

Most companies I've worked for a call out is 4 hours pay at whatever the rate so a sunday call out is 4 hours at double time!!!! I would always charge a minimum of an hour, yeah you were only there for 20 mins but say it was on a saturday just as you were about to sit down and watch the football, would it be worth 30mins pay to miss the first half (I guess tha tdepends on who you support!!) because if you do it once she will expect it everytime. I always charge by the hour.

cheers guys, i normally do a minimum of one hour. i dont know why im reconsidering!

min of 1 hour at all times. just because its taken 20 mins, doesnt mean its cost you less in fuel/time etc to get there
yup true, it was right in the city at rush hour.