More laid off locally

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Just been speaking to a mate who along with 4 others at the same contractors have been told .....

"sorry no money in the pot & the big job that was on for Jan has been shelved by council & they are not paying the upfront money, can not pay you this week & will have to let you all go.....will give you all a call when the work picks up"

The lads are well & truely P***ed off mainly because the boss has still gone out & purchased an 80K motor & gone on a 2 week st lucia break ... they got the bad news from a 3rd party at the company.

Just aswell he was away they want to lynch him.

Having a general chinwag at the wholesalers with shop manager a rep & 2 other sparks, rep said things are at a standstill for him, he's not met the last 2 months targets & the future is bleak. Shop manager has let the 2 young lads go & has started doing all day saturday opening (only kept one bloke on as delivery driver) & the 2 sparks said one had to his mate go & both have nothing in the book for the newyear.

The local trade depot has just had a mass closing down sale (all the best kit has been sold to screwfix enmass so the girl at the till said).

Local Woollys (from Mrs 107's mate who works there) the staff have been letting people walk out without paying or have just been asking you to pay what you think the items are worth (hence theres nothing of any worth left),

because they've been told they probably will not get any pay off when the doors are shut for good.

I hope it gets better soon.

I'm feeling very lucky having work in the book & desperately sorry for those that dont.

On the other hand, us sparks who staid away from sites because we are not greedy have work in the book for January and beyond, and have recuited an apprentice to help cope with workload. This is partly down to the fact there never was much money in the South West, ergo situation fairly normal....

Its no fun being made redundant, but sh*t happens and its happened to me several times before, which is why I try to target stable markets, even if it doesn't make me rich.

I'll finish this job by this Mon or Tues and thats me with nothing unless the new year brings a change. Theres no money for the self employed if you sign on , all you can get is relief from Council Tax until you have emptied your bank account .

Here in Brum it dos'nt look good for the Land Rover and Jaguar either, perhaps Gordon will bail them out.

Deke

PC World lost my business several years ago after I shelled out

I could tell you a load of stories about PC World.

The gist being that any spotty oaf can use a few words such as RAM/Gigahertz/etc and strut about like they are an expert. Most of them know nothing! They couldn't sus out some very basic problems a friend of mine had. I wouldn't buy from them.

the company is not great loss, it's the people loosing their jobs I feel sorry for. No-one else will employ them!

I think a lot of companies are very vulnerable in an economic slowdown, they rely on boom and people spending their money. When people hang onto their cash things stop selling. Especially luxuries.

How many companies would buy their computer equipment from PC World? Anyone?

We use dell in my other company....

get this...... bought a dell pc for a new employee rigged up to the wireless printer,,,fine for a few months,,,wireless router also dell.

phoned them up with the fault,,,,6 hours later the conceeded the couldnt fix it.

they offered us 2 printers 8 cartridges free delivery for

shame gordon cant bail use self employed out :( :(
Labour hate the self employed because we are resourseful enough to make a life for ourselves without depending on the state. They hate that. We are a section of society who don't need nannying and they can't stand us!!

We use dell in my other company....get this...... bought a dell PC for a new employee rigged up to the wireless printer,,,fine for a few months,,,wireless router also dell.

phoned them up with the fault,,,,6 hours later the conceeded the couldnt fix it.

they offered us 2 printers 8 cartridges free delivery for

Was talking to a plasterer on a job the other day...

he was re-skimming the walls for a friend of a freind...

normal he worked for a large building firm...

he said they used to permanently employ 120+ sub-contractor plasteres...

at the moment they are down to 15!!!! :eek: :O:O:(

thats around an 87% decrease:( :(

Was talking to a plasterer on a job the other day...he was re-skimming the walls for a friend of a freind...

I did an operation on a cow for a twisted stomach and had the farmer and his new employee helping me - a laid off plasterer!

Tiz a shame :|

Labour hate the self employed because we are resourseful enough to make a life for ourselves without depending on the state. They hate that. We are a section of society who don't need nannying and they can't stand us!!
Could'nt aggree more , Savvo Applaud Smiley

Deke

Was talking to a plasterer on a job the other day...he was re-skimming the walls for a friend of a freind...

i have a plasterer mate who says there are not enuff hours in the day at the mo

i have a plumber with the same problem

down to reputation i think

Latest posts