Motion Sensor Switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGreekGeek

Reaction score
I have an Elro ES360M motion sensor switch. It has 3 Cable connections. LS (Switched Live), L (Phase) and N (Neutral). My existing light switch has just the 2 cables red and black. How can I wire this device?

Live to live, switched live to switched live & N to N.

At a conventional light switch you may well not have an N, so you will have to install one to use the switch.

I thought red was live and black neutral. Am I wrong? If I need a third where would I draw it from?

Sorry, you have done an electrical short course & you don't know how a switch works?

You will need an N from the supply circuit for the light/switch.

Black is actually now a phase colour for L2.

Are you sure about this?

You could be out of your depth here?

OK, maybe I'm being a bit harsh, sorry, but these do seem basic questions.

OP, are you doing this DIY or are you trading and doing this for a client?

Oh my.

Just when you think you`ve seen / read it all - someone proves you wrong.

I would advise getting someone competent to resolve this. We can, and will help who we can, how we can - the type of help will always depend on our guesstimate of people`s technical ability, based on their posts. In your case, it seems prudent to help you by dissuading you from "having a go" - and advising the use of a competent electrician

I thought red was live and black neutral. Am I wrong? If I need a third where would I draw it from?

If they both come onto either side of a switch and one is live and the other neutral all you will get is a short across the supply..

resulting in..... bad day explode

Switch =  Live In and Live Out...  other wise its is not technically a switch!!

To be fair short course probably only teaches the basic memorize cable colours and a few regs to pass a multi choice on line exam...

Whereas what you need to know is the concept of how a circuit works...

e.g.

Supply (live/line/phase) to a switch..

From the switch (still live/line/phase) to a load

From the load back to the supply (Neutral)

this concept of a circuit with a controlling switch can be a bit difficult to grasp..

because:-

a)  the switch could be manual.. (e.g. human operates it..)

or

b) the switch could be electronic.. needing a neutral at the switch as well to power the electronic bits to make the switch work!!

HTH.

Guinness

{awaits another neg scoob for being factually correct!}

:C

:coat

The trouble as you know KME, is the OP will gleen what he can from any well intended replies, regardless of whether he fully understands them, then disappear into the abyss never too be heard if again.

The trouble as you know KME, is the OP will gleen what he can from any well intended replies, regardless of whether he fully understands them, then disappear into the abyss never too be heard if again.

disappear down the pub and ask his mate (the gardener/car mechanic/painter & decorator/builder {delete as appropriate}) to do it for a pint of beer

corrected for you!

Guinness

SL - pos. scoob given ( in anticipation ;) )

Sharpie: Maybe thats so. I  can`t know that - I have to assume they`re going to come and read it; else I`ll never bother to type it - 

Bin the sensor you have and buy the Danlers wapir, no need for the neutral.

SL - pos. scoob given ( in anticipation ;) )

Sharpie: Maybe thats so. I  can`t know that - I have to assume they`re going to come and read it; else I`ll never bother to type it -
This is half the reason I don't post as much as I did, I'm so tired of 5ww DIY joes asking questions then not appreciating the answers given and never coming back. Also the quality of the questions is beyond basic?

I know- BUT we have to remember that the forum was designed to help ALL those who needed help.

Yes, some questions leave you scratching your head, afraid to give "advice" in case they blow themselves up.

Others are obviously wind-ups

I tend to use the tone & phraseology of the question, to gauge the best response to give. It isn`t easy - but there are other forums out there, who allow blatant flaming of such posts - and look at the mess they`re in now.

We HAVE to stick to the founding tenets of the forum. It`s what makes us different ( plus the quality of our base membership) ;)

We know the interweb attracts all sorts - when you hear of teenagers egging each other on to commit suicide etc., you know there is something fundamentally flawed - but we mustn`t allow those few to influence the way we deal with EVERYONE - else we`re lost.

( my opinion, for what its worth)

Cheers M107, that's great. As for the rest of you a little humility goes a long way. If this was a school what you do would be called bullying.

Cheers M107, that's great. As for the rest of you a little humility goes a long way. If this was a school what you do would be called bullying.
No offence meant here.

You describe yourself as "Employed, Domestic, General all rounder, Short course."

People judge the question by the claimed abilities of the questioner. Many perhaps thought you should know this if you are (they assume) trading as an electrician. Many might have thought it showed the lack of training given by some short courses if you did not understand it.

Had you posted this in the DIY section with your claimed abilities as DIYer, you would probably have got a totally different answer.

(off to put my tin hat on)

Last edited by a moderator:
 As for the rest of you a little humility goes a long way. If this was a school what you do would be called bullying.
Ex-cuse me?

Could you explain that for me? We`re trying to explain that your profile, which YOU filled in, gives the impression that you are employed, in the industry, as a domestic electrician, having done a short course.

If that is factual - you need to ask for a refund from the short course.

If that is NOT factual, and you`re a DIY`er - then you should have selected that option in your profile.

We HAVE to work on the info you give - none of us know you, or the level of your abilities.

I`m sorry you considered my posts as "bullying" - I won`t bother you with any replies again - I prefer to give up my time & experience to those who appreciate it :coat

you claim to be an 'electrician', yet your asking something very basic, like 'how do i wire a switch'. doesnt exactly fill anyone with confidence that you have any idea what you are doing.