Moved into house with ADT alarm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikwillo

Reaction score
Apologies if this is in the incorrect forum but I moved into a house a few years ago and it had an ADT alarm system. The previous owner had monitoring in place but this was cancelled when they moved out. Since then I've just had it switched off. However I now want to use the system as a standalone alarm without monitoring. Is this something I can do? I assume I will have to pay to have the alarm enabled but can I use it without monitoring?

It depends on what the alarm panel you have is, ADT had some panels they relied on the remote signalling to do anything. Posting a picture of the panel AND keypad would help.

Remember I said they had some panels that relied on the remote signalling? That is one of them (It's a domonial) In order to use it you also need special "key fobs" You will also find that that yellow box you have outside is empty, as it relied on the remote signalling, but you should have a round internal sounder.

It is a radio based system so all the detectors have batteries (Another expense)

The only real option you have is to have a brand new alarm installed. (Don't go to ADT)
Some will say have a new radio based alarm as it is quicker to install (For them, it is) but I would suggest you have a hard wired alarm as it never needs batteries in the devices changing, and the cost of batteries is only going to go up.

Remember I said they had some panels that relied on the remote signalling? That is one of them (It's a domonial) In order to use it you also need special "key fobs" You will also find that that yellow box you have outside is empty, as it relied on the remote signalling, but you should have a round internal sounder.

It is a radio based system so all the detectors have batteries (Another expense)

The only real option you have is to have a brand new alarm installed. (Don't go to ADT)
Some will say have a new radio based alarm as it is quicker to install (For them, it is) but I would suggest you have a hard wired alarm as it never needs batteries in the devices changing, and the cost of batteries is only going to go up.
Yeh I've got 3 fobs plus the master fob. I've also got the round sounder you mentioned. I've been told the Ajax system is good.

I was hoping I could just get this existing system working but I reckon it could be 10 years old so might not even be worth trying.

It will be at least 10 years old, but that's not the point. Its major drawback is that it relies on the signalling so much (It could be remotely programmed) You would have also needed someone to know the ADT engineer code to change its parameters to make it useable by you as a bells only (Which is what it was not designed for) Not to mention I understand it had a very odd standby battery.
Don't waste any more time on it.