moving sockets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan.

Reaction score
right then,ive got a job doin a garage conversion and changing utilty room into an ensuite, question is theres some sockets in the ultility room that i was going to get rid of (pull the wires back up the wall cut off exess wire and crimp in the ceiling)now the customer wants one of them to be moved onto the other side of the wall,am i right in thinking that all i need to do is protect the cable in the new shower room as its not going to be in a safe zone any more? they want as little mess on the other side of the wall as possible,im putting an rcd on it anyway.

right then,ive got a job doin a garage conversion and changing utilty room into an ensuite, question is theres some sockets in the ultility room that i was going to get rid of (pull the wires back up the wall cut off exess wire and crimp in the ceiling)now the customer wants one of them to be moved onto the other side of the wall,am i right in thinking that all i need to do is protect the cable in the new shower room as its not going to be in a safe zone any more? they want as little mess on the other side of the wall as possible,im putting an rcd on it anyway.
If memory serves me right you are not allowed to have cables in the safe zone (150mm from the corners) in zone 1 if it not supplying equipment in that zone.

If the cable is not in zone 1, 2 it will still need protection as no one will know that there is a cable there

If memory serves me right you are not allowed to have cables in the safe zone (150mm from the corners) in zone 1 if it not supplying equipment in that zone.If the cable is not in zone 1, 2 it will still need protection as no one will know that there is a cable there
this was the case under the 16th haven't read all the 17th yet

i really dont want to do this but the customer is insisting. hmm maybe ill have to refuse lol

i really dont want to do this but the customer is insisting. hmm maybe ill have to refuse lol
Does the customer know the law/rules better than you?

Customers will always want the cheapest /easiest way. It is our ever unending job to inform them otherwise.

If you cant do it leagally-don't do it. Its your name on that bit of paper.

FYI, the safe zones extend to the opposite side of a wall, where such an extension is obvious!

I`d drill through, and plonk a socket on the outside. RCD protected (17th) obviously?

Done it before, and I`ll doubtless need to do it again:)

I am pretty sure that reg only came in because of the use of paramount walls because you never had 50mm from both sides as the wall were only about 70mm total thickness.

I have just noticed it mentioned in the electricians guild to the building regs on page 28 A Zone formed on one side of a partition wall of 100mm or less thickness extends to the reverse side only if the location of the accessory can be determined from the reverse side.

so a block wall , normally 4 inches or 100mm plus plaster which totals about 125mm would not comply

I have just noticed it mentioned in the electricians guild to the building regs on page 28 A Zone formed on one side of a partition wall of 100mm or less thickness extends to the reverse side only if the location of the accessory can be determined from the reverse side.so a block wall , normally 4 inches or 100mm plus plaster which totals about 125mm would not comply
NOW I`ll agree with you. The note on <100mm thickness is also in the inspection,testing & certifying book (NICEIC publication), 17th Ed.

So, to go back to the o/p, why not leave a socket in the utility; and back-to-back through. Problem solved!

KME

because its going to be a ensuite no sockets allowed.theyve given up on the idea now . told em id have to chase the cable down the wall on the other side they said no thanks:^O