Multi device failure/power surges

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evecharlotte

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m new to this forum, and not an electrician. We had our house renovated last year, and since then we’ve had multiple device failure.

In the past 3 months our tumble dryer, washing machine, combi oven, and electric radiator have broken. All of them electrical faults. Also, on a daily basis, our lights go off for a few seconds. Usually early late afternoon/early evening. We asked our electrician who did the work, he said national grid surges. We didn’t have this problem prior to the renovation.

It feels too much of a coincidence or sheer bad luck! Is there any change there is an overall electrical fault? Is there a way to test the house? 

Thank you for your help, and I apologise in advance if I need some of the lingo explaining.

could be a few things. loose connections to start with. tbh if its everything going off for a second or 2 that sounds more like a transformer issue and youll need to contact your DNO about it, but id be asking your neighbours first, it will also affect them so may help point to an issue inside your house or outside

Thank you Andy. It’s just the lights, everything else stays on. Will def ask the neighbours though. Cheers!

As Andy says, ask the neighbours if they are experiencing any Electrcial issues. 
if it is common then a call to DNO. 
If not then I’d suggest either get original electrician back to test or get a second electrician in to test property as a second opinion. I would probably speak to original and offer him the opportunity to take a look, if he rejects explain that you will get a second opinion and depending on the findings, work, cost involved you will be claiming against him if it is found to be as a result of his work. 

If it is just the lights that go off, but your tv, cooker etc all carry on working, then it is not a supply fault, it must be an internal wiring issue that your electrician needs to address.

Do the lights ever go too bright? or vary in intensity?

if its only lights then the problem is internal and something on your wiring. could be many things. loose connection, MCB not clamped to busbar etc. sharpend has some good advice, get the original spark back, to fix first, if nothing found or they refuse, get someone else in

Depends whether you think your appliance problems may be  just bad luck/ sods law/ cheap lines and just coming to the end of their life/ OR do you seriously think they are being prematurely killed by over voltage surges?

Are you suffering excessive lamp failures as well the dim-outs?  If you really believe that there are excessive surges then complain to your local supplier and ask to have it checked.

Last edited by a moderator:
 loose connection, MCB not clamped to busbar etc. 

I would want to verify these first of all...

There is a risk that the original electrician is a bit too over-confident in his work and has not actually full checked ALL terminations in the fuse-box..

Lose joints can cause symptoms of power fluctuating as they heat & cool due the the electrical current flowing..

:coffee        

If you post your rough location one of us might be able to assist or know someone who can.