Multi-Function Tester- Best To Buy

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have been looking for past few days to buy a new mult-function tester.

Have always used Robin ,Megger and Kew technik seperate kits in the past, so wondering is it  worth having the multi-function tester as compared to the seperates.

And the big question is which one.  Not looking to spend silly money like the

Here is the main testers i have been looking at....................

Seaward Powertest 1557 Kewtech KT64 Multifunction Tester Fluke 1652C Basic Kit 9083P 17th Edition Multi Function Tester [SIZE=small](9083P)[/SIZE]

Megger MFT1710 Any help appreciated  :)

I have a Fluke 1652c which I just brought from Megger Mark which replaced my previous Fluke 1652. This has been discussed many times and its a personal thing. I have had bad experiences with Megger and a di log 9083p that is not to say they are bad. But I find if I have a bad one I won't buy that brand again. Test meters are a bit like cars and vans everyone has there favourite. 

He was about £150 cheaper than what I was quoted at the wholesalers I was well chuffed. And his back up service is brilliant too.  

Cheers guys.  I was swaying towards fluke to be honest, bit more expensive, but you only get what you pay for.

I will be contacting megger mark for sure.  :)

Yes to Cyprus.  I have a cunning plan though, we have friends coming over mid may, so i asked them nicley if they can fit it in there suitcase, and they said yes. So need a kit that can fit in a suitcase as well.

The price of testing equipment over here would frighten you,  think double and add somw more or even treble the price. 

Just about to contact megger mark :)

Has anyone got megger marks email address, it wont let me pm him  :(

Yes to Cyprus.  I have a cunning plan though, we have friends coming over mid may, so i asked them nicley if they can fit it in there suitcase, and they said yes. So need a kit that can fit in a suitcase as well.

The price of testing equipment over here would frighten you,  think double and add somw more or even treble the price. 

Just about to contact megger mark :)

Has anyone got megger marks email address, it wont let me pm him  :(
Try now, I have fixed that for you.

Evening all,

As some of you might know, I am Megger Mark's "apprentice" Megger Mike.

Mark is on holiday at the moment but I am more than happy to help with any inquiries.

Firstly, thank you for all the great members of this forum spreading the word of isswww.co.uk but also the many kind words for Mark.

Secondly, if you are not tied to a brand then I suggest the Kewtech KT60 series. Kewtech produces excellent test equipment that both excel at robustness and innovation  They pride themselves on their testers high standards so much that, just as a standard, you get a 5 yer warranty  And don't quote me but there might also be a lifetime warranty added to the KT60 series soon.

Link here for the Kewtech KT60 Series

As usual, forum members are encouraged to get in contact for a good deal. You can PM me on the forum or contact me directly from our contact details on the site.

I've always used Megger,when I moved to South Africa I couldn't believe the price of testers over there.i got myself a major tech all in one tester,my only problem now with me back in the UK how can I get it calibrated?

Scott

Another +1 here the guys at ISSWWW sorted me out with a new voltage tester and a lamp tester for a little over £60 including the dreaded. Delivered extremely promptly too.

I'm still trying to decide what tester to pick.   The Kewtech or the Fluke.........................................    the 5 year warranty is a big draw on the kewtech,  and after talking to mike,  i am definitely getting a calibration check box. As i am based in Cyprus, it will be a lot more cost effective to send the check box for calibration each year than it would be to send the tester.  :)

IMHO you don't need to get a check box calibrated..

What you use them for is to check for a consistency of readings,,, if they drift then either the tester or check box has become faulty..... if you check more than one meter using it then that will let you know if its the check box or meter at fault

You need to have a calibration record to keep your equipment valid,   if your calibrating your tester on an uncalibrated check box, your results are null and void.   You need a paper trail to keep your equipment up to regulation standard. Just seems easier for me to send a small box back to the uk for calibration rather than send the whole tester  :)

OK then,,, here's my opinion......

Firstly you are not calibrating a meter when you use a check box,,, you are checking that the readings that you get are consistent.. Calibration (and i mean proper calibration) can only be carried out using test equipment that has itself been calibrated to traceable standards,, usually it should also be carried out in an temperature and humidity controlled atmosphere.

So, how do we ensure that our equipment is working...

If we have a calibrated meter and then test it using our check box and record the readings (as soon as we receive it) we will then have a base reading to compare all our future readings against.

We  then check our meter at regular interval intervals and record the readings which we conmpare aginst all the previous readings that we have taken.

If any reading has significntly changed then we obviously have a problem with either the check box, test equipment, leads or batteries which we should further investigate

It is not important that the readings are accurate (a 1Kohms resistor could get a reading of 900ohms by the time you have taken component and meter accuracy into account)... the important thing is that the results are consistent.

Obviously this does not take away from the fact that meters do need calibrating from time to time

IMHO some of my above opinion also puts doubt in my mind as to the validity of "on site" calibration