Musings About An Android, From An Old Git.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted to undertake the "simple" task of taking some photo's off my 8 year old daughters camera, and putting them onto her Android.

Now the Android is a peculier beast. Whoever designed a "computer" with no keyboard or mouse to input data had a strange way of looking at the word.

Firstly I find it has an odd sized USB port connector. None of my standard USB cables would fit it. But eventually we found it was the same size as SWMBO's smart phone. So I borrowed her USB cable. But that was a dirty great big standard USB plug on the other end so won't connect to the camera. But it will connect to my own desktop PC (with proper keyboard and mouse).

So plan B. Copy photo's from camera to my PC (easy peasy with standard size USB cables and just using Windoze File Manager to copy them). Then copy them from my PC to the Android.

I then spend 10 fruitless minutes trying to find something on the Android resembling a file manager that allows me to browse directories to locate files and copy them. How could something so basic be either missing, or so hidden on a "computer"?

Eventually I do it from the other end. Locate the android on my PC, and use windoze File Manager to copy the photos from my PC to the Android.

My conclusion. The Android is a toy, with some limited uses, but CANNOT be used for anything meaningfull on it's own. It needs the support of a proper computer with proper input devices and proper tools to do some basic things.

Is this just a grumpy old git's perspective, or an accurate statement of the limitations of an android?

Would it in fact be possible, if you could find the right USB cable (with one of those modern ultra flat connections on one end, and a standard mini USB plug on the other) to connect the camera directly to the android and copy the photo's using just the software on the android? if so please put me out of my misery and show me where the android equivalent of "file manager" is please.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, let's get one thing straight. An android tablet is not trying to be a PC. is is a hand held device.

You was trying to copy the files wrong in the first place. Would you look for a file browser on a usb stick to copy files from the pc to it? The tablet connects to the pc in USB Slave mode and so is connected just like it was a USB drive.

Depending on the age of the device, if it is new enough then yes you can connect your camera directly to the device. If your tablet supports USB Host mode the you need to get a USB OTG (On The Go) cable. This plugs into your device and has a female full size usb connector on the other end. Then you simply plug your normal camera lead into that. It should then pick up your camera as a USB storage device (if this is how it normally happens with your pc).

As for input devices, there are many bluetooth devices that are supported. If you want to use wired, plug a USB hub into that USB OTG cablea dn they should work. Mouse pointer included. Again, unless the device is age old, then this functionality will be supported.

If you are insistent on copy files from pc on the device then install an app like WS File Explorer and setup a SMB share.

.......Far from a toy my friend...

I was treating the android like a "computer" yes big mistake.

I am used to networking "computers" and being able to copy files across the network initiating the transfer from a file manager or other program on either "computer"

I naively thought the android would have a file manager of some sort built into the OS, but I have still yet to find it, if it's there.

The Android has wi fi. Perhaps I should have looked at that.  I can copy files from my desktop pc to my laptop pc via wi fi, again initiated from either end.  the androd is set up to connect to our wi fi and browse the net. Perhaps therefore I can locate the android and copy files that way without bothering with a USB cable, but I can't locate it when browsing the network from my pc.

I think my statement is true.  The android is a "toy" with some uses, but it is virtually incapable of just being used on it's own withuut a proper computer to support it.

The same stands for ios devices, they are not fully fledged pcs. Most if not all Android devices come with basic file manager installed called files or my files. What device you using? Like I said just download one from the play store. Es file Explorer is very powerful. Including pulling over network shares or from cloud storage. As you figured Android (and ios) do not include network share capabilities out the box. Again download an app. There are many smb server apps in play store. As well as pretty much any other server you can think of. Ftp, smtp, Web, pop, did, the list goes on.

Its called File Manager on my phone,

Not sure what its called on the nexus, I think it depends on what version of Android you are running.

All my networked devices can see every other device on the network, unless hidden.

This is an android tablet, not a phone.  It's Android 4. something "ice cream sandwich" or some silly name. a cheap "no name" one from fleabay.  It's been in use for 18 months now without going wrong, and it was very cheap.

Does not have a "file manager" as standard, I guess I could go looking in the app store to find one, but I'm not that bothered.

Having found a way to do it, I'll just stick to that, after all it's the girls toy, not mine.

This is an android tablet, not a phone.  It's Android 4. something "ice cream sandwich" or some silly name. a cheap "no name" one from fleabay.  It's been in use for 18 months now without going wrong, and it was very cheap.

Does not have a "file manager" as standard, I guess I could go looking in the app store to find one, but I'm not that bothered.

Having found a way to do it, I'll just stick to that, after all it's the girls toy, not mine.
Quit moaning then ;)

It was more of an old git rant along the lines of "why do the young accept this new technology that is so limited compared to a proper computer"

I've got 2 ice cream sandwiches both are phones use them more than the Ipad as they are faster and less cumbersome to use.

sending photos I either use dropbox, photo bucket G+ or just email them to myself.

Explore the play store a bit more to get more out of the device.

Jus don't forget to clear the password on the play store so you don't get any nasty surprises on the credit card bill.

:)

It was more of an old git rant along the lines of "why do the young accept this new technology that is so limited compared to a proper computer"
Because they can afford the former and carry it around with them a lot easier and don't have to wait for the thing to boot and the battery will last a day and ...... well do I need to go on.

Think about what the 'young' do with technology.....

All Android and IOS devices can 'do' twitface, etc

I've got a nexus 7 tablet, one of the best 100£ I ever spent tbh,

I wouldn't class it a toy, it will even run Ubuntu touch,!

Which means you can open ALL types of .pdf and a whole load of other stuff that an iPad can't do with its limited very expensive *nix rip off OS. :D

Yeah Crapple are notorious for tying down their devices to their kak proprietary file formats. Dave if you want a fully fledged traditional file manager for Android go to the play store and install Total Commander. It's free.

Yeah Crapple are notorious for tying down their devices to their kak proprietary file formats. Dave if you want a fully fledged traditional file manager for Android go to the play store and install Total Commander. It's free.
good shout Marvo,

Id forgot about that,  :)

Latest posts