My 1st Training Course

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevfusilier

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im looking into becoming an electrician, mainly domestic installation.

I have little experance ,and was looking at the 13 day course run by TRADESLILLS 4 U in Crawley, what seems to be an attractive course.

Does anybody on here reccommend this centre /course?

I live in Coventry and is there any simular courses in the midlands/ warwickshire?

Many Thanks,

Kev.

These courses wont make you a qualified sparks, you would be better off doing one at a local college maybe a one day a week one and try to get a company to take you on as a trainee for some experiance.Being old like i am i had to do a four year appreniship, but i know its shorter now. I think these short courses are more for kitchen fitters etc to enable them to do the electrics properly.

I'm looking at the same thing. I'm a kitchen fitter and I am possibly looking at these "wonder" courses just so I can do the kitchen stuff and not having to rely on my **** of an electrician.

I sent trade skills an email asking if I do this 13 day course, do I have to do any others or will this make me fully part p. I am awaiting there reply.

I'm looking at the same thing. I'm a kitchen fitter and I am possibly looking at these "wonder" courses just so I can do the kitchen stuff and not having to rely on my **** of an electrician.I sent trade skills an email asking if I do this 13 day course, do I have to do any others or will this make me fully part p. I am awaiting there reply.
Welcome to the forum mate

these courses will make you part p compliant

but because you work in kitchens its notifiable to labc so you may want to consider joining one of the 'bodies' to become part p registered

I know I will need to register with the likes of nic, napit etc. i'm a bit confused about the city & guilds stuff for testing and inspection. Do I have to do this on top of my part p course to certify my work. I suppose it may depend on their course structure. I hope they email me back.

Do you know if on these wonder courses i have to learn alot of other stuff that isn't relevant to domestic housholds?

these courses are just for domestic but part of the 17th edition covers other areas.

you do not need 2391 to certify your own work

I know I will need to register with the likes of nic, napit etc. i'm a bit confused about the city & guilds stuff for testing and inspection. Do I have to do this on top of my part p course to certify my work. I suppose it may depend on their course structure. I hope they email me back.Do you know if on these wonder courses i have to learn alot of other stuff that isn't relevant to domestic housholds?
The problem is that although the vast majority of domestic households are probably your average semi-detached Mr suburban family guy!!

There are that handful of weird and wonderfully housholds that had electrical systems that could make a small factory unit look like a 9v Duracell!

I know some "Homes" especially Larger more countrified locations that have 3-phase coming in to multiple DB's & 50 or 60+ final circuits!!!

So an awareness of wider less common application is also important. ;) :D

I did a course there, at Trade skills.

And you cant blame the real sparks from disliking this sort of course when a real sparks does 4 years.

Ok, I am a learner, I want to test a whole bunch of stuff. I have been wiring things for years as we all have, but now have done written part of UK Part P (domestic installer) (which allows me to test and inspect) for no other reason than one electrician came to wire up my kitchen and did not know the regs regarding positions of socket outlets near the sink, had not heard of the On Site Guide, and another forgot to tighten the terminals on the main incomer and nearly burned the house down. Frankly I think the course falls short on testing and I understand that that training facility is now doing practical testing with hands on after a group of us voiced concerns.

As someone else said previously in a reply, you/I need a lot more knowledge to go and inspect and test ANYTHING.

I found it was well worth reading up on stuff first, get the On site guide and the Electricians guide to building regs, good elec wholesalers have them, and read ahead, makes the course easier to understand on the day. You need them on the course anyway for reference.

When you have done the course, you still have to do a practical with one of the bodies (ie NICEIC) or similar, like a simple switch change and a small ring circuit, then show them you know how to test it all, then you can do installations and sign off your own work.

We were told the alternative is not to do the practical, but to tell building control what you want to do beforehand, they then come and test it all at the end - see threads on the testing and inspection part of this forum.

I stand to be corrected on any of the above by the wise.

I am going to ask a whole bunch of dumb questions in the coming months, hoping the guys here can educate me.

I'm part way through a course at Ableskills in Dartford.

I'm doing part p next and then 2382 wiring regs next.

I fully understand what some of you say about experience as I

took a plastering course last year and its took almost a year to gain

experience to be good at it.Every job presents a different challenge.

The first week at Ableskills was the intro week and it was a lot more in depth than I thought.

We did a lot of testing and fault finding aswell as practical installation.

Rob

I did a course there, at Trade skills. And you cant blame the real sparks from disliking this sort of course when a real sparks does 4 years.

Ok, I am a learner, I want to test a whole bunch of stuff. I have been wiring things for years as we all have, but now have done written part of UK Part P (domestic installer) (which allows me to test and inspect) for no other reason than one electrician came to wire up my kitchen and did not know the regs regarding positions of socket outlets near the sink, had not heard of the On Site Guide, and another forgot to tighten the terminals on the main incomer and nearly burned the house down. Frankly I think the course falls short on testing and I understand that that training facility is now doing practical testing with hands on after a group of us voiced concerns.

As someone else said previously in a reply, you/I need a lot more knowledge to go and inspect and test ANYTHING.

I found it was well worth reading up on stuff first, get the On site guide and the Electricians guide to building regs, good elec wholesalers have them, and read ahead, makes the course easier to understand on the day. You need them on the course anyway for reference.

When you have done the course, you still have to do a practical with one of the bodies (ie NICEIC) or similar, like a simple switch change and a small ring circuit, then show them you know how to test it all, then you can do installations and sign off your own work.

We were told the alternative is not to do the practical, but to tell building control what you want to do beforehand, they then come and test it all at the end - see threads on the testing and inspection part of this forum.

I stand to be corrected on any of the above by the wise.

I am going to ask a whole bunch of dumb questions in the coming months, hoping the guys here can educate me.
cos there isnt one....

no doubt some one will correct me on that. ?:|

Thanks everybody for all your comments.

I think I may have to reassess the available courses, and hopefully attend the correct one for me.

All the best guys.

Hi kevfusilier

I did my training with Clarkson Evans in Gloucester, Excellent setup where all the instructors are fully qualified sparks with years of experience (they have even built a house inside a hanger so you can fault find!!).

They are a company that only does new builds, they employ and train their own apprentices and have over the years developed a good training centre.

Their details are on the net, you can pop down and take a look around, speak to an instructor and get the right course for you.

They do a range of courses that will suit, if you are leaving/in the forces they also take enhanced learning credits

I can't reccomend them enough, Hope this helps

Gazza

one electrician came to wire up my kitchen and did not know the regs regarding positions of socket outlets near the sink,

cos there isnt one....no doubt some one will correct me on that. ?:|
Electricians guide to building regs, page 57 identifies:

300mm min from edge of sink or end of draining board, I am surprised it is not more than 300 mm from the sink.

Centre of socket 150mm min above counter top.

Common sense should prevail, but it sometimes needs a little help. ;)

It's a good guide to work to but as it's building reg's it only applies to new building work not re-wires.

However you'd be daft not to use it. :D

Hi All,Im looking into becoming an electrician, mainly domestic installation.

I have little experance ,and was looking at the 13 day course run by TRADESLILLS 4 U in Crawley, what seems to be an attractive course.

Does anybody on here reccommend this centre /course?

I live in Coventry and is there any simular courses in the midlands/ warwickshire?

Many Thanks,

Kev.
Makes me wonder why I bothered to do a practical and day release, five year apprenticeship,

If only these 13day courses had been around in my day:^O

Clarkson Evans, Abel Skills, Tradeskills 4U are all good training companies. Clarkson Evans deal with a lot of apprentices. Abel Skills and Tradeskills 4U deal with adult trainees. I know Tradeskills do Part P quals as well as longer courses for those wanting to fully qualify.