My day

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all

My day was a little different. Went to a carpet shop were i have done a bit of work in the past. Sorting out a few none working lights Etc. Had to refix fluorescent light back to ceiling, Loop of live was in porcelin connector so turned of circuit to put cable in proper connector block. When I cut through cables i got a shock. Thinking could be borrowed neutrals Etc. Anyway carfully put light back up. Went on to install socket for timer for display lights as I had to get down behind display needed to test socket to make sure all was ok. Socket tester saying p-n reverse. Tried few other sockets exactly the same. Took lid of consumer unit phase and neutral reversed. Overhead supply new cables installed about 3/4 years ago. I find it hard to believe the installations are not loop tested when new external cables are installed. Called board out said as was priorty should be out within four hours. I had a look on way home dosen't look like it has been sorted yet.

batty

Not good batty, my boys would be most displeased.

However, always good practice to be 'extra safe' and not take single point isolation for granted, use a volt stick as well.

(I've been here myself)

Don

It's just not the thing you would expect. I think in future I may put my socket tester in a socket before doing any work.

batty

It's just not the thing you would expect. I think in future I may put my socket tester in a socket before doing any work.batty
Having been in a life threatening 'hold on situation' myself one tends to stick to safe practice.

Where electricity is concerned

Of course we all know this because they tell us at college...............

Don & His Boys

yeah test test and test again, 1yr ago was working on lighting circuit removed domino fuse to work on circuit it tested dead, went to van to get tools customer put fuse back in consumer unit without telling me, i climbed up the ladder to carry on work grabbed hold of the live and threw myself off the ladder shock of my life.

yeah test test and test again, 1yr ago was working on lighting circuit removed domino fuse to work on circuit it tested dead, went to van to get tools customer put fuse back in consumer unit without telling me, i climbed up the ladder to carry on work grabbed hold of the live and threw myself off the ladder shock of my life.
:eek:

Naughty naughty Robertarathoon, can't really blame the customer for putting fuse back in CU when really it should of been on your person! IE safe isolation procedure.

But HEY, you live to tell the tale:)

Evening all

Follow up to yesterdays post. Board came out today rang to say connections were correct ie live into main fuse neutral was zero volts. I said i had tested from henley block neutral to earth 235 volts. So as i was working local went out to see what was going on. When i got there board chap said he had sorted out what was wrong. EDF contract out cable replacements and contractor had put live/neutral from cut out wrong way round in meter. I should have seen this. From now on i will always put in my socket tester before doing any electrical work on jobs.

batty

RE: BCLEARNERSPARKS yeah propably should have had it on my person, however fuse was actually in tray on top of my toolnox and the customer at the time was also my boss (a builder) who should have known better. anyway still here to tell the tale and quit my job with that employer not to long after.