My first ever refusal of work.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Reading the wall lights off ringmain thread reminded me I had this one to post.

For the first time last week I turned down a cu change + install MEB's............went and did pre check of the 1930's place before the quote was done because the customer told me on the phone

"your the 4th sparks I've had out to quote. Please dont do as the others have & not bother comming after I've accepted the quotes. we moved in 6 months ago & need toget the fuse board changed, not all bad at least I've got all the decorating done & the bathroom floor/walls tiled in that time"

Now the old chuff is twitching so I go to town on the pre check.

I get there and have a chat with the customer, the other sparks have:

• 1 Looked but didnt bother sending a quote, even after a few reminder calls from the customer.
  • 2nd turned up looked about for half an hour said there were issues but would send a quote. Quote accepted but sparks kept giving excuses why he couldnt do the work so customer gave up.
  • 3rd spent 2 hours looking about & testing didn't even quote, called by customer & got the fob off & eventually said he was giving up electrical work so the customer best find somebody else.

Famous last words from the customer "The neighbours said the last owner rewired the place late 90's"

4 way woodbacked cu

1. socket circuit
  2. immersion
  3. Lights up
  4. Lights down

Simple you'd think........

Lounge (flat roofed) only had wall lights for lighting & all eight were off the ringmain, opened switch and only the T/E switch drop there so a JB is lurking somewhere & no fcu supplying the lights.

Did end to end of ringmain at a socket in the longe............oh dear no continuity on anything, whipped off all 9 socket fronts in the lounge & yes a spur off a spur off a spur I suspect all from one of the kitchen sockets, couldnt check for definate as the kitchen sockets have been tiled in flush.

Boiler fused spur wired in 1.5mm T/E off ringmain recently done (well post harmonisation any way).

Groundfloor toilet light again straight off the ringmain.

Lifted one board in hallway as it wasnt fixed down to find the socket in the hallway has two short legs of white sheathed Black/red T/E JB'd to original VRI.

Isolate the immersion circuit & off goes immersion .....................and the oven, no cooker/oven isolation switch in the kitchen.

Two of the bedrooms are rammed with boxes & furniture as is the front ground floor room where the cu is & along with the place having been decorated to to bottom.........now I'm thinking partial or full rewire & spending half he working day shifting the clutter before any work can begin & not damaging decor + the bathroom & kitchen tiles.............................It was at this point I thought F***it he's getting the bad news.

I highlighted the issues I'd found that would need resolving & advised a partial rewire with the addition of a new socket circuit for the kitchen & turning the lounge sockets to their own radial circuit & told him it would mean the decor might suffer some, but it was a good job no carpets were down.

The bloke went white infront of me.

"the carpets are being fitted next week"

Well rather than me messing you about & quoting then not doing the work, I have to say I just genuinely do not have the time to do this work for you.

I felt bad leaving the guy, he was nearly in tears.............................but I could just see to many problems onthe horizon if you know what I mean.

You have to feel sorry for these people but if they had had an electrical survey done when they brought the place some of it may have been found and the price they paid would have been adjusted. It amazes me people spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on a property without getting a survey done.

I can fully understand your concerns. Why do people do all the work, re decorate then decide to call in the sparks? the place will need gutting. I went to a place last year and put an extra socket in the hallway (RCD) the consukmer unit was a metalclad rewireable fuse type dating back to 1960 when it was built and the owner moved in. There was what looked like a 4mm earth conductor to the MET and 6mm meter tails. I suggested rewiring or at least sorting the distribution out. His reply " I'm 90 why should I bother changing anything? its lasted OK all this time" I could see his point but it wou;d be ironic if he died of a shock on the eve of his 100th birthday.....

Interesting point Andy

if we didnt have all the new medicines discovered from this date then the world wouldnt be over populated,,,,,,money wouldnt be spent on healthcare

and some of the third world countries would have naturally unpopulated........As nature wants..

I agree you did the right thing turning the job down.

But did you tell him WHY?

Did you tell him you could rewire, but it would trash all his decorations and he should have had the rewire before decorating?

I had a similar one, a guy asked me to quote for fitting wall lights in an alcove. brick house plastered walls, all newly decorated.

I told him what was involved and it would all need re decorating again after chasing out the walls etc.

His reply "You don't want the job then" headbang

You have to feel sorry for these people but if they had had an electrical survey done when they brought the place some of it may have been found and the price they paid would have been adjusted. It amazes me people spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on a property without getting a survey done.
Because when they turn the light switch on, the light comes on. When they plug something into a socket it works, 'why are you telling me i have to spend hundreds/thousands ?? '

I wonder how many people have these fancy

(and very nice) laminate wooden floors fitted

and then decide to have extra sockets installed.

(Yes, I have been there).

I quoted a rewire last year , house had laminate fooring throughout , up and down , so I priced for a carpenter @ two weeks , take up all the flooring, number it etc . for each room, then relay it all .

No reply to quote .

I agree you did the right thing turning the job down.But did you tell him WHY?

Did you tell him you could rewire, but it would trash all his decorations and he should have had the rewire before decorating?
Indeed I did Dave.

He was ok about it & did thank me for being honest & up front.