My First Porch Light Install

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R1K

Reaction score
Hi all 

I wanted to setup a lantern type light with PIR (40-60w) beside my front door into an open porch and I'm just wondering what is the best / safest way to provide power to it. 

On the interior side of the wall is my front hallway and there is an extension socket running from a double power socket which is further into the hallway. 

Could I just drill a hole directly through the wall to exterior, running a cable (cable would be partially hidden from elements within archway of open porch) put a plug socket on the end and plug into the extension ? What type of wire should I be using ? I have this thin grey two core I believe it's called with live (red) neutral (blue) and earth in it. 

Do I have to use any kind of conduit on the outside ? 

Your thoughts please...

Thanks in advance. 

Hi all 

I wanted to setup a lantern type light with PIR (40-60w) beside my front door into an open porch and I'm just wondering what is the best / safest way to provide power to it. 

On the interior side of the wall is my front hallway and there is an extension socket running from a double power socket which is further into the hallway. 

Could I just drill a hole directly through the wall to exterior, running a cable (cable would be partially hidden from elements within archway of open porch) put a plug socket on the end and plug into the extension ? What type of wire should I be using ? I have this thin grey two core I believe it's called with live (red) neutral (blue) and earth in it. 

Do I have to use any kind of conduit on the outside ? 

Your thoughts please...

Thanks in advance. 
Also is it safe to plug the porch light into the extension socket ? 

image.png

What you are suggesting is OK as a short term lash-up, for example for Christmas lights, PROVIDED, the outdoor part is adequately waterproof and secure, and a 3amp fuse is used on it's plug.  It must be wired with a suitable three core insulated flex.

It should not however be regarded as a permanent installation, as portable and loose items such as extension leads are susceptible to deterioration and damage in long term use and can easily become dangerous. 

May I suggest that there are some solar powered PIR outdoor lights available which may meet your need.

this is the light I'm intending to use. 

image.png

If that way could prove dangerous (in the long term due to the extension) and I wanted the lantern type shown how would I wire this in a safe manner using the route shown in the image ? 

What you are suggesting is OK as a short term lash-up
the regs don't have a lash-up section, as far as i know the only thing you can relax on in temporary works is the distance between fixings 

but it should also have RCD(30mA) protection at the least 

silly question but does the double socket not provide protection via the mains trip box. So if their is a fault with the porch light the extension connected to the main double socket will trip thus providing protection ? 

complete newbie here as you can prob tell. 

How would you recommend this type of light in this location is connected safely ?