NAPIT Assessment - phew!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetheglitz

Electrician
Reaction score
I haven't been very active on the forum lately - having just gone self employed (with a partner) I don't seem to have had much time.

We had the NAPIT assessment today. We've been excreting masonary about the this - but the assessor (Clifford Brown) was both friendly and professional and put us at ease.

I envisaged the assessment as covering technical competance and certification only - but a lot of time was also spent on the business side - record keeping - waste disposal - complaints procedure - timesheets etc which I wasn't expecting. He even went over our website as it has our on line diary on it. (If anyone wants to check out the website and the diary drop me a line and I'll send you a link). Perhaps this was because we were going for Trustmark as well - or is this common practice?

Anyway - suffice to say we passed the assessment and are now intolerably smug and ready to survive during a recession (we hope).

Thanks to the forum for all the support and advice. It is certainly a good friendly place to be - and a special mention to Binky who has sent work our way - really appreciated!

Dave

Well done. Applaud Smiley You know you can add your website to your profile and then we could find it from there if we wanted to.

:D

can i just say your website is of an excellent standard and i like the idea of the online calender,did you do this yourself or get someone in to do it??

Well done mate I know its nerve racking your first assement, I have my fourth in November. But its just another day you will think that next time.

Batty

can i just say your website is of an excellent standard and i like the idea of the online calender,did you do this yourself or get someone in to do it??
Wish I had the ability and imagination to do this - but no - it's my local newsagent who is a real wiz at this stuff and does it as a sideline (at the moment!). If anyone is interested I can put you in contact!

Like the website - very professional. Blue and Pink would have been nearer the start of the phone book!I have one question from your website

I thought that extra sockets could be added to an existing circuit outside of a special location? By anyone?
Blimey! You're right! How did that creep in! My understanding is that the new sockets must be to the current requirements. If I added sockets that needed to be fed by an RCD fused spur to be compliant I would notify to cover myself - where the average reasonably competant bloke would just add the socket! Not sure how I'm going to put that over, but the website will be suitably ammended!

We thought about Blue and Pink - but decided that Pink and Blue flows off the tongue easier - and we didn't want to get in the lottery of picking any random electrician beginning with A - we hope our adverts will stand out - but that remains to be seen.

Thanks for reading!

PS Have you checked out ABC's website - very nice!

We thought about Blue and Pink - but decided that Pink and Blue flows off the tongue easier - and we didn't want to get in the lottery of picking any random electrician beginning with A - we hope our adverts will stand out - but that remains to be seen.
I think what you mean is girlie spark wanted her 'pink' before your 'blue' and for an easy life you let her win :^O

Will give ABC's a once over :D

Wish I had the ability and imagination to do this - but no - it's my local newsagent who is a real wiz at this stuff and does it as a sideline (at the moment!). If anyone is interested I can put you in contact!
You weren't in North London last week ? If not your double act was :)

Just one comment on a nice website, No such thing as 'Part P qualified. Its a building regulation.

Thinking of paying up and joining Napit next weeks as it goes. Possibility of getting my assessment within 2 weeks for an extra 40 quid so I was told over the phone.

Any pointers? And things to look out for and remember?

Is a proving unit essential?

Thinking of paying up and joining Napit next weeks as it goes. Possibility of getting my assessment within 2 weeks for an extra 40 quid so I was told over the phone.Any pointers? And things to look out for and remember?

Is a proving unit essential?
Hi Robbo!

I wouldn't think essential..

As long as you have some means of proving your voltage detector (meter) is still working after isolating your supply..

e.g. stick meter back on incoming side of main switch has normally been OK for my assessments.. (NICEIC)?

;)

Good tip - cheers.

The one thing worrying me about the whole thing is the assessment but most folk I know who are approved say once its over you wonder what the hell you were crapping yourself over lol!

Still cant help worrying though. Even though I know I can do it, it seems it becomes almost exam situation when youve got someone observing you.