NAPIT Assessment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkJ

Reaction score
Hi All

I have finally come round to the fact that I need to join a competent person scheme.

I have 2330, 2381 and 17th Edition. I thought that these qualifications would be sufficient for the rest of my life.

I called NICEIC and spoke to them - they wanted me to take another course - the Domestic Installer Scheme Qualification which is a 5-day affair

I sort of got the impression that they were just trying to milk as much money out of me as possible.

I then called Napit. They told me that I had to undergo an assessment if I was to join up.

Does anyone know what this assessment consists of and what questions they ask?

everyone goes through a yearly assessment. bloke comes round, checks your quals, PLI insurance etc. looks at a job or 2 to make sure you know what your doing. asks questions. may get you to demonstrate various tests. and providing everything is OK, your good to go for a year

the NIC just want t make as much money as possible. even if that means sending you on courses you dont need (ever notice how many people dont like them?)

initial assessment is unbelievably easy and doesnt always involve a site visit, he just wants to see if you're clued up and know your stuff

local inspector will even come round to your house, Napit guys are really friendly so dont worry at all

mine lasted about 45minutes and consisted soley of him asking questions, if you are reasonably competent it'l be a breeze.

he'l want to know about testing, why you test for this and that, why you do a loop test, what kind of results you'd expect and why, also would you know what to do if some reading was not as expected, its just general stuff, he doesnt expect you to know everything and he will give you a regs book if you struggle(and loadsa help) he might give you a scenario

( i think they use 1 of 5, tt, agricultural, caravan park, etc ) and ask you to 'walk' your way through it maybe answering 5 or 6 questions on it,

then he'l want to see your certificates, PI insurance, books, such as gn3, regs, on-site guide, risk assesments, h&s policy, etc

if you dont have anything he'l tell you to go onto the website and download anything you're missing(theres loadsa stuff) offer recommendations, give you some advice where needed, try to flog you a few bits and bobs, smile, shake yer hand and welcome you to Napit.....

he will want to see some work at the end of the first year and there after,

but last site visit i had he actually asked me to pick the jobs and cheekily said that way i could nip round and clamp the bonding on!

which i did Blushing

the NIC just want t make as much money as possible. even if that means sending you on courses you dont need (ever notice how many people dont like them?)
Well I have never been asked to go on any courses?

And I have found All the inspections & inspectors very friendly helpful and polite?

I suspect the bottom line is.. Whoever you are going to join ..

You need to be able to prove you are competent:| ;)

Well I have never been asked to go on any courses?And I have found All the inspections & inspectors very friendly helpful and polite?I suspect the bottom line is.. Whoever you are going to join ..

You need to be able to prove you are competent:| ;)
our practice is running a cattle foot trimming course first week of March if you want to go on a course...........

:) you're more than welcome.

And it's usually people who have no experience of them.....

I have never had a problem with them.. If you have the required qualifications then they will not try and send you on a course.

My assesors have been human beings who were not out to trip me up, they only wanted to make sure that I knew my stuff and was willing to pick the regs book up when I was unsure.

One was an employed assesor and the other has been an AC who works out of my area (so there is little gain in them failing me if I am good enough to pass)

Napit do want you to have 2391 but give you 12 months to do it once you join.

My assessment was a piece of cake, very similar sound to Bettys.

The guy brought a list of about 30 questions on a sheet and we worked our way down them. When I got stuck he gave me guidance on where to look for the answer.

They like to see at least 2 proper circuits - I rewired my garage through a seperate 10 way split load board with half a dozen sockets and lights.

Get a bulk load of teabags in before he arrives.

Latest posts