Navy engineer seeks new career path.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamg123412

Reaction score
Good Morning. 

I want to become a qualified sparky. I have a NVQ L3 in electrical engineering and maintenance but unsure what to top it up with. I’ve spoke to NICEIC and there happy to take any nvq l3 as long as I get the experience.  I’ve also done 18th edition and passed. Looking for any advice if possible. 
Ideally I’d like to learn the trade with a sparky then go on my own after 5 years. 
based in Hampshire. Thanks

Your timing to join the trade is pretty good. Many companies are struggling to keep up with the work and some are looking for people.

suggest you contact all the local companies within 20 miles of you

Your timing to join the trade is pretty good. Many companies are struggling to keep up with the work and some are looking for people.

suggest you contact all the local companies within 20 miles of you
Would you recommend any courses in particular   Regarding my post ? 

How much of an understanding do you have of the fundamentals such as circuit design etc? Did the engineering part cover the fundamentals? 
if you are all good in that aspect then you probably would need to read the Part P doc to familiarise yourself with the rules around that. 

How much of an understanding do you have of the fundamentals such as circuit design etc? Did the engineering part cover the fundamentals? 
if you are all good in that aspect then you probably would need to read the Part P doc to familiarise yourself with the rules around that. 
Thanks for the reply. 
My plan was to do a foundation course to give me a good knowledge. Then enhance that with a domestic installer course that included part P. Rather do these to enhance my knowledge and going into the industry looking stupid. 
once I’ve found an employer I will then self fund my nVq 2365 if I can go straight in  to do that.