Need more sockets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highlander317

Reaction score
Hi all, Im hoping someone can give me some advice on adding more sockets to my living room, with fibre internet heading this way, I would like to tidy up the pc and tv area, without the need for the current convertor socket and extension leads we have a present.

I'm not looking to do the work myself but would like some professional advice on how to turn the one 4 sockets into much more, be looking at least 9 sockets always on, 4 for pc and 3 for tv turned on when wanted.
I've seen the multi media wall plates with 4 sockets but with additional holes for euro modules???, but we don't use satellite and won't be having the telephone line after having fttp installed ( line would go straight into ONT then to router).

I'd be grateful of any advice on what to look at and ask an electrician to install, many thanks

TBH its really tricky to give concrete advice about this sort of question.

I would suggest you have 2 or 3 sparks round to look at your house, its construction and see what they suggest and quote

Sorry if this isn't too helpful and be aware that asking for 9 sockets could be interpreted in different ways - or do you mean 5 doubles, giving you 10 sockets?

I installed 4 triple sockets for a customer many years ago, it doesn't look pretty. What I have done previously is make up an extension lead using dado trunking and lots of sockets - I had the parts to hand. You can buy multi gang extension leads, with surge protection, screw one of those to the wall and it does the same job at far less expense. To keep it as tidy as possible cut the cable as short as possible and wire a new plug on.

I installed 4 triple sockets for a customer many years ago, it doesn't look pretty. What I have done previously is make up an extension lead using dado trunking and lots of sockets - I had the parts to hand. You can buy multi gang extension leads, with surge protection, screw one of those to the wall and it does the same job at far less expense. To keep it as tidy as possible cut the cable as short as possible and wire a new plug on.
I did exactly that in my wife's office, good thing about it is placing the multi gang extension just under the desk height keeps all the cables off the floor and a few tie wraps completes the tidy up.

I've gone down the wall mounted multi socket route too. If you do, consider what you want to plug in when choosing. If you have PSU plugs they are usually bigger than standard plugs and can block adjacent outlets on some designs of multi block.

I have 6 gang multi sockets. Damn annoying really, my phone, company phone, ipod OH phone, can't swap them over as needed next day, so plug all in before going to bed.

multi-socket.jpg