Need some help understanding a double inverter system

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solarjeff

Reaction score
Hello, I've moved into a property with solar installed with two inverters & a single battery installed. The solar system itself is 4.8kw. I'm having issues with understanding how this is all actually working.

The first inverter that the solar runs through is a "Growatt 3600MTL-S" & the second inverter that is capable of charging the battery is "LuxPower LXP 3600 ACS". It only has a single pylon-tech US2000 2.4kw battery which seems pointless to me.

The second Luxpower inverter is the inverter that tells me the household energy usage, how much power is being imported from the grid, sent to the grid, consumed from solar, etc but the statistics seem completely off. Currently, I'm apparently generating 1024watts from solar, importing 490watts and my total household consumption is at 1514watts. The problem is the only things turned on is this computer and my fridgefreezer & the battery is already fully charged so I am definitely not using 1.5kw of energy. The first inverter is reporting 1653watts from solar. To me, it seems the second inverter is confused about where the power is coming from. It's also not reporting any exported power even though I am definitely overproducing right now. I am totally unsure where this extra power is going.

Sorry for my clear ignorance about this, I've probably not explained this well at all. I didn't even know the property had solar before I moved in so I've spent the past week trying to wrap my head around the system. I'm basically looking for anyone who can actually explain what is going on with this system. I can provide photos & screenshots of the apps, whatever is needed.

Ok, so it sounds like you have property has had a solar system installed, and then at a later date an AC battery system installed.

So first question is how old is the solar system, and did you get any FiT payments transferred to your name?

As for what's going on, it sounds like whatever is monitoring the energy flow in and out of your house isn't fitted correctly. The monitoring would either be by CT clamp or small meter and should be fitted somewhere near the main board/ in the meter tails. Some pictures would be useful.