Need Urgent Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They can't evict if there is no case for the landlord to do so, and can be classed as harassment if done so.

How wrong can you be...

The place will be rented out on an "assured shorthold tenancy" This will be for SIX months. You make all kinds of fuss, and they will simply decline to renew in five months time. You will get a months notice and that will be that, and not a thing you can do...

john..

They can simply wait until the end of the agreement and then serve notice is my understanding ..... seen it done a few times to get rid of irrational tenants

Exactly..

john..

The law is very different in Scotland than other parts of the UK.

A Short assured tenancy, usually 6 months or 12 months, does NOT automatically end at the end of the period. It becomes a rolling tenancy until the tenant gives 1 months notice or the landlord serves 2 months notice.  There are a certain set of reasons that a landlord can serve notice, not liking the tenant or he complains too much are not valid reasons (though no doubt some rogue landlords do that, and get away with it)

The law in Scotland changed recently so there are fewer valid reasons for a LL to serve notice.

I am a landlord myself, how many of the other experts giving advice are?

I am pretty sure it won't be long before the rules tighten in the rest of the UK including compulsory EICR's.

Don't forget a property needs an EPC of E to be let out now, and from I think 2025 will need an EPC of C.  There is either going to be a lot of property upgrading done, or landlords will be bailing out and selling what will become unrentable properties.

Compulsory EICR's should be brought in immediately for all homes, be they privately owned or rented in my opinion. But at the moment although by law, a landlord must ensure that electrical installations and wiring are maintained in a safe condition throughout the tenancy, that doesn't actually mean they have to use a Periodic inspection, EICR, as the means of ensuring safety. They can choose to use whatever method they see fit. It is only when someone is injured and there is an investigations or claim of negligence etc. that the landlord will need some form of industry recognised electrical condition report to prove they have taken all reasonable steps to meet their obligations to the safety of their tenants. Any half decent landlord will already be doing routine inspection and testing as per BS7671. But legally they could use other methods and unfortunately, as many of us who do inspection and testing as one of our jobs roles will know, far too many landlords are happy to rely on a visual inspection (or a drive-by inspection), for £50 and half hours labour, thinking this will meet their legal obligations!  I must also add that in my opinion any tenant considering renting a property without asking to see a copy of a current inspection report for all the electrical circuits in the property is a bit naive about the potential dangers dodgy electrics can introduce.

Doc H.

How wrong can you be...

The place will be rented out on an "assured shorthold tenancy" This will be for SIX months. You make all kinds of fuss, and they will simply decline to renew in five months time. You will get a months notice and that will be that, and not a thing you can do...

john..

Exactly..

john..
Yes but the can only do this at the end of that arrangement as you state so we mean the same thing which is fine as they will not be staying so not fussed what happens tbh and will be looking at doing things a different way not time before the tenancy has finished i.e. not renting, when you said Evict I took it as landlord cant just chuck them out say 1 month into the agreement unless the contract has been broken and it can be 6 or 12 months. So I was not wrong. I think they have a right to be annoyed or as get this sorted quicker as there was no power and heating when moved in. They have a right to make a fuss if the don't want them at the end then fine this landlord will find it hard next year with the new Laws when they come in with the energy cert as it they will not be able to be let as it stands so good luck to them.

Compulsory EICR's should be brought in immediately for all homes,
Agreed cant see why it got stopped last year :(  but just seen a twitter post that Gov are rethinking a lot of things now maybe this will be one of them but to late for now.

that doesn't actually mean they have to use a Periodic inspection,
I have read on a gov website and other that a PIR is issued to the Landlord and a copy to tenants, If new tenants move in? It also states this in some of the letting agents paperwork. 

K I have enough info and this is turning into a Landlord thread so please close it someone if they wish

Compulsory EICR's should be brought in immediately for all homes, be they privately owned or rented in my opinion. But at the moment although by law, a landlord must ensure that electrical installations and wiring are maintained in a safe condition throughout the tenancy, that doesn't actually mean they have to use a Periodic inspection, EICR, as the means of ensuring safety. They can choose to use whatever method they see fit. It is only when someone is injured and there is an investigations or claim of negligence etc. that the landlord will need some form of industry recognised electrical condition report to prove they have taken all reasonable steps to meet their obligations to the safety of their tenants. Any half decent landlord will already be doing routine inspection and testing as per BS7671. But legally they could use other methods and unfortunately, as many of us who do inspection and testing as one of our jobs roles will know, far too many landlords are happy to rely on a visual inspection (or a drive-by inspection), for £50 and half hours labour, thinking this will meet their legal obligations!  I must also add that in my opinion any tenant considering renting a property without asking to see a copy of a current inspection report for all the electrical circuits in the property is a bit naive about the potential dangers dodgy electrics can introduce.

Doc H.

The problem already is that some of them aren't worth the paper they are written on ............. so making them compulsory will only make this situation worse.

When I'm asked to do an EICR, I have minimum set charges - that keeps the skinflints at bay...

The problem already is that some of them aren't worth the paper they are written on ............. so making them compulsory will only make this situation worse.

When I'm asked to do an EICR, I have minimum set charges - that keeps the skinflints at bay...

Over time things could get better though, Compulsory EICR would start to bring knowledge of them into the public domain with an increased volume of the public seeing them and understanding they must have this strange bit of paper with a contractors name address contact details being traceable. All you then need to add, is a secondary check facility if you think you have a rouge EICR. Post a copy to an independent 3rd party who can evaluate it. If it is obviously a load of made up figures give the client the legal right to demand a full refund of any monies paid so they can employ someone else to do the job properly. Same principle as 12month warranty to get you money back on faulty goods. Gradually it would raise awareness of what a proper EICR looks like, how long it takes and how much it costs. Same can be said for some installation certificates and minor works that are blatantly made up numbers or not fully completed.  

Doc H.

^^ The biggest issue with EICR's is the hopelessly inconsistent application of the Codes.

The only point of reference in the public domain is the ESC Best Practice Guide No 4 .............. which very few people seem to be aware of, let alone refer to ....

Napit have recently published a guide on coding , not sure about the other schemes.

EICR's are a bit like econonmists = ask 10 and you will get a variety of responses ................ our beloved BS7671 doesn't help, as its so vague and open to interpretation ................

The last EICR I as asked to look at had a couple of interesting observations - when I was asked to go and look at the issues, I found the readings on the schedule of tests, bore little or no comparision to my readings when I went .........................