Networking for dummies

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello oh learned ones. I have a situation where in the surgery we have a reception and an office, with 4 computers and 4 printers. We currently limp by on a second hand wireless network but it is slow. The new regime requires something better. What I want is

1. New dedicated broadband from surgery

2. Hard wired so that I can print off all printers from all computers (ideally)

The issues

1. We already have 2 of the computers networked along with 2 of the printers (our practice management system)

Crazy as it sounds it's the other two computers and printers that I most need on a network with a decent internet connection!

My questions:

1. Can I use the new router as a network 'hub' connected where the phone line comes into the practice and run all the cables back there? (I know about filters)

2. The distance from the router to the back office will be ~20 metres I was intending to 'bunch' cables in the roof space, to place 3 double network points do I need 3 or 6 cables?

3. Can I bunch a telephone cable with the network (Cat 5) cable?

4. Suppose the other idea is to connect the router into the existing server and run the cables from there, but not enough network connectors, can you just plug in a network key/switch thingy?

All looks rather straightforward (I already have a crimping tool for making the ends, just have never used it - B&Q sale bin!)

Chances are there are only 4 ports on back of router. If so, then you will a switch too if using more than 4 points. So, have router and switch near each other. Run a cable for each point back to this point. Don't worry about distance as max for cat5 is 90m.

Sent from my Desire Z

You could also run telephone points in cat5 cable to save buying 2 types. Which ever works out best. Cat5 is actually better than telephone cable.

Sent from my Desire Z

I'd have the router at the server and plug that into a switch, for each network socket run an individual cable. I can't really see any problem with running the BT line with the Cat5, it's mainly power cables that you have to worry about IIRC

A Vet, thought was a electrical forums!

You must be 'kin minted get an IT cabling co. in

1. do it properly once with a proper patch panel(s) why not just run the telephone lines over the structed cable (invest in a pbx too?)

2. a fully populated point will require one cable per single outlet, data would be fine of one pair so you four single outlets per cable

3. a fully populated cat5 points with a fly lead inserted to be a BT jack would be better

4 server ? you what it to run dns ect ?

you'll never make a crimp as good & a cheap as a chinky factory can make a patch lead!

a simple peer to peer network can be done in patch leads, either slung in as rough as bum holes under desks ect..... or trunked & passing though brush plates to cpc's/ devices

if you p

Terry, you need 2 pair for 100Mb networks and all 4 pair for gigabit network. Just run one cable per point. Router connected to telephone. Switch and 3 other connected to router LAN ports. Everything else into switch. Depending what the server serves will decide whether its best plugged into router or switch.

Sent from my Desire Z

It doesn't look too complicated TBH. Can I just use Cat5 as telephone cable so long as I connect the correct colours at each end?

Will buy connecting leads - assumed you needed to crimp into the back boxes? That done with a punchdown tool? I have a BT style one? Will that do?

If you get a switch and a patch panel you can configure the RJ45 sockets how you like... Do them all as network sockets, then you can get a BT adaptors that allow you to plug in your phones

Last edited by a moderator:
punchdown patch

do you need a router switch? I have one.

if your PCs are all in one office/area that might be your easiest option.

Last edited by a moderator:
punchdown patchdo you need a router? I have one.

if your PCs are all in one office/area that might be your easiest option.
Basically there are 2 computers and 3 printers in reception and 2 computers and 1 printer in the office at the end of the building!

I expect to get a free router when we get our own Broadband contract rather than extend it from the house as we do now!

are your printers all networkable?

my printer(one and only) isnt networkable, but it is wireless networkable(if that makes sense.)

any computer can access it via my router on wi-fi, but not directly, unless they ask for access via my main PC which is hardwired to the printer,

the other option is to e.mail direct to the printer.

most routers have 4 terminals patch, so sounds like you will still need a switch, or something else sorted.

---------- Post Auto-Merged 20th November 2011 at 00:00 ---------- Previous post was made 19th November 2011 at 23:58 ----------

reading this as I am a bit slow, you need 8 connections,

my understanding is that with a router and a normal switch you will still only get 7 connections.

I await to be corrected though.

sorry Noz,

I thought after a simple 4 port switch it went all technical and high falutin,

just I have a 4 port switch he coulda had but obviously not much use to him with that amount of things to plug in.....

unless you have a cunning plan.?

could he plug a switch into a switch????

sorry if thats a stoopid no no,

just a thought.

I guess that you could, but what would be the point when you can easily get the right numbe rof ports from the off?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:25 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:21 ----------

I'm just offering the printer server as it wasn't compatible with a printer that I had and thought that Patch might want to have a printer that didn't use a PC as it's printer server.

The critical thing seem to be that I need things to one point. Now we have a 8 way port switch at the other place I work so I know bigger ones are available.

Basically I need 2 computers to be able to print from 2 printers and have a broadband connection. I then need to get the existing network an internet connection. Not the end of the world if I can't print from all computers to all printers.

All printers are networkable!

If I have a twin RJ45 socket do I need 1 or 2 cables going back to the switch?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:27 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:26 ----------

I've just found a 24 port switch on ebuyerPatch, I have a printer server somewhere if you want it?
If they are networked printers do I need one? (very kind offer!)

You'd need 1 to each individual socket, so a twin will need 2

You'll also need them to be on the same network and do some jiggery pokery within windows to allow the printers to share

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:31 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:30 ----------

If they are network printers, i.e. have an ethernet port then you wouldn't need a printer server

Apache,

how I see things,

and please remember, my beer tinted glasses aint always too clear,

everything you have on your network, or want on it,

needs an RJ45 [technically its not RJ45, but we will go with that for now] back to wherever you are going to have your central point of internet.

if you are not going to have everything back to one point of origin, then from the point of origin you need a CAT5(or E ) from the router to the point of switch, then to each piece of machinery.

I see twin Cat 5e is available so think I may wire in that. I'd rather over engineer the system now and out in double ports rather than single ones to allow the system to grow and add more to it as needed.

NEWTWORK DIAGRAM.jpg

Latest posts