New build

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beet

Reaction score
I am converting a garage to a small wet room/ toilet and bedroom. The mistake I made was assuming that the Council would inspect my installation in the bath room as a competent person. Many in the early 70’s in a country that no longer exists I wired up a 4 bed house, tested by the electrical supply authority..was fault free and complied with the regulations.  I also wired up a 10 kw, and 60kw  3 phase motors. 

The lights and 13 amp plug in the bedroom are existing installation therefore do not come into the regulations. I was surprised when the Council quoted £300.00 to do the inspection. For 2, 12 volt IP65 ceiling lights,2.1 meters above the floor and 1 m horizontally away from a shower head, a vent fan and switch, plus the consumer box rcd and mcb, I think that’s a bit steep? Is it possible to supply the bathroom from the 13amp socket with a rcd, omitting the consumer box.

£300 is a pretty standard charge for a building regs compliance inspection.... in all honesty they don't want to do it so have kept their prices high to encourage homeowners to use registered competent persons.

As for how to do the work,,,, the saying.... "there are many ways to skin a cat" comes to mind

Thanks for the reply. You didn’t answer the question whether I could supply the lights from an extension though.?