New Caravan Wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky_2306

Reaction score
I will be wiring some sockets into a Piper 1400. Can anybody tell me the recommended wire thickness and what size circuit breakers i will need.

PS - Welcome to the forum Sparky 2306.

personally I would use 2.5mm2 flexible cable, artic grade, this is only a personal preference of mine when doing caravans/boats etc.

use a 16a RCBO and wire in radials, 2 outlets max per circuit.

or you could look in section 7(?) for the regs way of doing it.(???)

I would agree with Step's, Arctic cable (or HO7) would be the best way to wire a caravan that is moved around.

Or are we talking about a static caravan? In which case I can't see anything wrong with using T+E

certainly Mr S, tho I think static is called mobile home these days? or am I the wrong way round????

tho T&E would be fine for one of those.

I only use 2.5 for the extra mechanical strength by the way, not loading.!!#

blue/yellow, I really never care, white/green/red or puirple if its at the right price.! :D

HO7 (is that HI-TUFF?) may be more expensive? harder to work with?

never really thought of it for wiring caravans TBH, that would still be viable for boats too????

HO7 (is that HI-TUFF?) may be more expensive? harder to work with?never really thought of it for wiring caravans TBH, that would still be viable for boats too????
It's a rubber based cable, really flexible and self-extinguishing. This is the stuff it's used a lot in PA and LX touring rigs.

Wouldn't know about boats though, thought there were some special rules for boat wiring (Lloyds of London sort of thing)?

It's a rubber based cable, really flexible and self-extinguishing. This is the stuff it's used a lot in PA and LX touring rigs.Wouldn't know about boats though, thought there were some special rules for boat wiring (Lloyds of London sort of thing)?
lLMFAO, Im just talking little river cruisers and that sort of thing!!!

NOT the queen mary or such like!!!

yep, I know the cable now, just not too up to speed with the nums and names sometimes?!?!?

super flexy HR cable, good stuff it is too when needed., would prob be ideal for a caravan if the price is right(better than artic I suspect).

r.e. colours of Artic:I`d use the blue one for the 240 work, and yellow on the 12VDC - easy to keep track of.

Just a thought......
good idea batman,

tho my mate is a diesel fitter so he gets me the proper 2core and multicore stuff they wire the lorry trailers with when I need it.

its usually black with red/black inner and the various other colours in the multicore that are standard automotive colours. :D

I will be wiring some sockets into a Piper 1400. Can anybody tell me the recommended wire thickness and what size circuit breakers i will need.
Just to add my tuppence to an old thread...

1/ Flexible cable on a caravan NOT t&e due to movement & vibration etc..

2/ size suitable or the max load....

remember that the supply cable is only 2.5mm 16a flex..

so no point going bigger than that.

3/ the total supply is often limited to 16a (or in some cases 10a)

so no point going bigger cable size for bigger loads...

4/ what is the realistic maximum load?

often mostly chargers for phones, MP3's, Laptops etc..

occasional hairdryer or toaster or portable TV / kettles very often gas!

our caravan has 6a lights & 10a socket circuit..

so far NEVER blown!