New circuits in kitchens

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamdu

Reaction score
Good evening men here goes for my first post here. Just about to start a contract for some kitchen refurbs, not seen them yet but have priced them for fitting new ring main and cooker circuit on seperate two way rcd cu. So no need for testing rest of circuits but will i need to upgrade supp bonding in kitchen. Supplier has agreed to let us cut seals and fit henley blocks on tails

Good evening men here goes for my first post here. Just about to start a contract for some kitchen refurbs, not seen them yet but have priced them for fitting new ring main and cooker circuit on seperate two way rcd cu. So no need for testing rest of circuits but will i need to upgrade supp bonding in kitchen. Supplier has agreed to let us cut seals and fit henley blocks on tails
Welcome to the forum.

Are you aking a question or making a statement?!

:D

I assume that you mean supplementry bonding under kitchen sink?? Which is not required in 16th or 17th edition.

However you would still have to ensure that the main bond is there at the incoming water supply, (10 mm)

assuming kitchen is on a seperate ring to start with, if not then you will be altering wiring for the rest of the dwelling which will also require being certified and brought up to 17th regs!!!

ALL earthing will require brought up to 17th regardless, its not a MWC its an installation now, and perhaps a MWC for the rest.

I assume that you mean supplementry bonding under kitchen sink?? Which is not required in 16th or 17th edition. However you would still have to ensure that the main bond is there at the incoming water supply, (10 mm)
However it is recommended if you have a s/o in close proimately to the sink. The pipes should be supp bonded only and not the sink itself. and the supp bonding can be run back to and terminated in the s/o.

However it is recommended if you have a s/o in close proimately to the sink. The pipes should be supp bonded only and not the sink itself. and the supp bonding can be run back to and terminated in the s/o.
Where is this recommended, i've never done this

s/o in close proimately to the sinks/o in close proimately to the sink

how close is close?

this surely isnt an elec reg, sounds more like a building reg, seeing as the elec regs dont even have a min distance to sink.!

its all down to what set of regs you work to, and at end of day building regs take precedence(are they law?) I think.

I know BS7671 isnt law so can only be over ridden by statutory regs when they arise, its just a note on your cert.

as for the bonding thing,,,,

well I too am in doubt.

I think all this is due to the more widespread use of plastic pipe.

I was only reading Yesterday or the day before. I will have a think and get back to you. (I think it was my BB associates training what do you McCall it from College). Revised for the 17th edition regs.

Bonding sinks went out of requirements many years ago, so in this instance as long as MEBs are up to date and Main earth to mini CU is correct size, I wouldn't be looking to bond anything else, especially as all new circuits are RCD protected. The only thing I would consider necessary would be bonding boiler pipes, as exiting electrics are to 16th, and obviously this has some bearing on pipework in kitchen.

Assuming splitting kitchen from rest of power circuits, then it will also be necessary to test modified circuit which hopefully is already on split CU, though would put results on EIC annotaed to state nature of mod.