New Consumer Unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Power Ball

Reaction score
Hi Guys

If you had a look at my introduction you will know i have just retuned to the tools after 40 Years and just done my Part 'P' I am just about to change an old wylex rewired fuse unit for a new 17th edition type. I know it is notifiable work but just have a couple of questions re the insallation.

1 Does the board charge to come out and pull the plug while you disconnect and reconnect. (how much notice do they need)

2 I need to make the tails longer from the meter to fit in the new unit so do I a. connect longer tails from the meter if allowed.

b. join the existing ones using what i think is a Henry Conector.

Thanks

Hi GuysIf you had a look at my introduction you will know i have just retuned to the tools after 40 Years and just done my Part 'P' I am just about to change an old wylex rewired fuse unit for a new 17th edition type. I know it is notifiable work but just have a couple of questions re the insallation.

1 Does the board charge to come out and pull the plug while you disconnect and reconnect. (how much notice do they need)

2 I need to make the tails longer from the meter to fit in the new unit so do I a. connect longer tails from the meter if allowed.

b. join the existing ones using what i think is a Henry Conector.

Thanks
Firstly, many pull the HED regardless, without contacting the local distribution network (My boys do).

There are mixed views on this, but safety first.

As for tails, you should be able to go into the meter without any issues, the local supplier should reseal these at some point.

The connector by the way is a Henly block.

The Godfather

Firstly, many pull the HED regardless, without contacting the local distribution network (My boys do).There are mixed views on this, but safety first.

As for tails, you should be able to go into the meter without any issues, the local supplier should reseal these at some point.

The connector by the way is a Henly block.

The Godfather
Pulling HED is not legal, but the seal was already cut :D . If possible arrange to have isolator switch fitted by DNO (good delay tactic when busy). Thereby avoiding the need to cut seals, and being fully legal. However call-outs, unexpected events, I have no qualms in working as safe as I can and cutting seals when necessary.

From customer side of meter it can be argued you have a right to access, but the seal was already cut anyway :D . Have bought some plastic type seals for re-sealing after completing works, looks official and I know where I've been. Do sometimes phone DNO to inform that some ****** has cut the seal before I got there, so they can re-seal it properly, but not often.

Thanks for your replies forgot to say the tails go from the meter in to an isolator switch then to con unit but i thought if I was fitting a new unit I would have to do away with the switch ( I thought it was an RCD) but it will be an isolator swtch for sure I will have another look before I go to the wholesalers. Think this one is babtism by fire could have done with something easy to start with.

Cheers Guiness Drink

I mean this in the nicest way possible - you're not out of your depth here are you? I can tell the difference between an RCD and an isolator and I'm not a spark. :|

This is electricity we're playing with - not something benign like gas or uranium..........

Do you have any sparky mates who could help?

Thanks for your replies forgot to say the tails go from the meter in to an isolator switch then to con unit but i thought if I was fitting a new unit I would have to do away with the switch ( I thought it was an RCD) but it will be an isolator swtch for sure I will have another look before I go to the wholesalers. Think this one is babtism by fire could have done with something easy to start with.Cheers Guiness Drink
Could be an old Voltage operated earth leakage breaker..

which as far as I know.. are no longer appropriate!! :)

does it have a big fat yellow test button???

No it looks fairly new and has no rcd trip button, I am sure it is an isolator not seen one before but then again I will admit I have not done one before but need to get it right i know that is why I asked the question.

Thanks

If its an isolator it will not need replacing scottish and southern tend to fit isolators edf don't all depends what area you come from. By the way welcome to the forum

batty

but need to get it right i know that is why I asked the question.

Well done for doing so, Sir. You did the right thing.

Pulling HED is not legal, but the seal was already cut :D . If possible arrange to have isolator switch fitted by DNO (good delay tactic when busy). Thereby avoiding the need to cut seals, and being fully legal. However call-outs, unexpected events, I have no qualms in working as safe as I can and cutting seals when necessary.SOME DNO`s will now allow sparx to break seals. However; although 99% of the time this will be safe, an issue with polarity, or a cracked/damaged HED fuseholder, can cause a safety issue. I accept & agree with your points (in principle), BUT cannot condone someone breaking the seal & removing main fuse, if they are not competent to do so!!!

From customer side of meter it can be argued you have a right to access, but the seal was already cut anyway :D . Have bought some plastic type seals for re-sealing after completing works, looks official and I know where I've been. Do sometimes phone DNO to inform that some ****** has cut the seal before I got there, so they can re-seal it properly, but not often.
As there is apparently some variation on an isolator/KMF in line, o/p is allowed to access that without involving DNO (LOAD SIDE ONLY).

Thanks for your replies forgot to say the tails go from the meter in to an isolator switch then to con unit but i thought if I was fitting a new unit I would have to do away with the switch ( I thought it was an RCD) but it will be an isolator swtch for sure I will have another look before I go to the wholesalers. Think this one is babtism by fire could have done with something easy to start with.Cheers Guiness Drink
If it spooks you that much, my friend, I would suggest having a friendly sparx in, maybe just to confirm procedures. More for your peace of mind than anything else!!

Don`t know about you, but I like to be able to sleep at night, knowing I haven`t (prospectively) killed someone, burned their house down, or killed myself. (But maybe that`s just me??)

Don`t know about you, but I like to be able to sleep at night, knowing I haven`t (prospectively) killed someone, burned their house down, or killed myself. (But maybe that`s just me??)
Bet you could sleep knowing you'd burned MY house down tho!!!

:p :p:p:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

Cuz I wont be able to get my hands on your Guinness !!!!

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

You`re incorrigable!

I don`t know if I should laugh, get me coat, or cuss you for being so flippant.

So.,....I`ll do all three:

:^O (gets coat.......................................) X(

Latest posts