new dual rcd boards whats the point

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why not have all circuits on 1 rcd?

to minimise nuisance?

Well i havent done my 17th yet, but i would guess its so that everything doesnt go off at once. If you have one lighting circuit on the first RCD and the other lighting corcuit on the second RCD, then if one of the RCD's trip you still have lights (and sockets etc) functioning.

rcd for cables <50mm depth domestic/commercial/industrial?

You need to minimise the posibility of one fault knocking out an entire house. Hence the idea of having one rcd for upstairs circuits and one for downstairs (or for 3 story houses having a third rcd 'side'). See 314.1

As for rcd's on cables less than 50mm, this really only applys to domestic. Comercial and industrial locations are generally under the supervision of a 'qualified' person so 522.6.7 superceeds 522.6.6

You need to minimise the posibility of one fault knocking out an entire house. Hence the idea of having one rcd for upstairs circuits and one for downstairs (or for 3 story houses having a third rcd 'side'). See 314.1As for rcd's on cables less than 50mm, this really only applys to domestic. Comercial and industrial locations are generally under the supervision of a 'qualified' person so 522.6.7 superceeds 522.6.6
tank you

rcd for cables <50mm depth domestic/
YES

commercial/industrial?
There are exceptions within Com&Ind where use of equipment & work on the building fabric is under the control of a Skilled or instructed persons..

e.g. any tom **** or harriet cannot just go drilling into any wall without authorisation from a person responsible for the site..

where as a DIY at home may just go drilling anywhere then.....

POP! BANG!! WHOOOOOSH!! :( :_|

nic guy is saying all sockets regardless of commercial or industrial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?????????????

no he says that sockets installed such as cables under less than 50mm depth need rcd protection as per new 17th for domestic and industrial!

which i also think he's wrong

Well i havent done my 17th yet, but i would guess its so that everything doesnt go off at once. If you have one lighting circuit on the first RCD and the other lighting corcuit on the second RCD, then if one of the RCD's trip you still have lights (and sockets etc) functioning.
Mr Piggy - you return. Your absence was noted :D

I looked at your profile the other day and you'd not signed in for a month. Has it been busy on the greeting card front ;)

Mr S does the pushy shovey on behalf of KME's absence:_| X( :( :eek: :^O:^O:^O:^O
KME is NOT absent - He simply removed himself from the (prospective) line of fire.........

Further, I had to leave the office, as I was rather busy in my real life for a bit.

I am around, and will continue to be around for as long as my input & POV are of use to anyone......

p.s. Mr Sworld, sir. Thanks for keeping the timeworn tradition of "pushy, shovey" going in my time of lack of online-ednessGuiness Drink