New Electrician - Lacking a bit of confidence and looking for work.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandandan

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im a recently qualified Electrician that is lacking experience and a bit of confidence. I have been working on the London Underground for around 5 years whilst putting myself through college. Now i have qualified I only really have experience in the industrial area and have worked as an Electrician for around 8 months.

I live in Southend but I don't have any contacts or agency numbers for this area. can anyone help? :)

I also worry about not having enough knowledge even with the so called basics like two way lighting and just worry in general about making mistakes and not knowing enough.

If there is anyone out there with any advice or help that would be great.

Many Thanks

What course have you completed ?

Also what is you intrest e.g domistic / commercial

Dan..my advice would be stop worrying and go and do it..i have been in the same scenario as you but every one i have worked for has been pleased with my work. Take your time to start off with and get it right and do a tidy job, your confidence will soon build up!

Try subbing for a bit. I did this and it helped a lot

I agree with Paul b b get out there and go for it, don't take anything to nigh to start, you didn't take all the time a money on college for fun it's all about earning money, print up some leaflets at home post them in every door around your area this will give you the little jobs yOu need to et going, take your time do it right price it fair and there keep coming back

Have been subbing but due to the olympic embargo im currently out of work.

Completed City and Guilds 2330 and 17th Edition

Dont mind an area of work but have an industrial background.

not part p unfortunately. got a privite job for family so that will keep me busy. thanks for help and advice.

I think everyone above is wrong. You have held your hands up & said you lack experience in the basics such as 2 way lighting. Then there is insurance, Power tools , test kits (do you own any of these ?) I can imagine posters on here putting pictures up in the black museum of your work saying looking at this poor workmanship etc. I think you need to find an electrician to work with, but you will only get low money to start with. Good luck though.

We are glad to provide career advice for prospective candidates seeking industrial electrician jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are glad to provide career advice for prospective candidates seeking industrial electrician jobs.
Welcome to the forum, your post has been edited as I think you have still to finish reading our terms and conditions. Once you have read our policy regarding advertising and sponsorship we will gladly replace your advertising link upon receipt of your sponsorship fees. Until that time please enjoy the forum and contribute in accordance with our T&C's http://www.talk.elec.../privacypolicy/

Doc H.