New Electrics into the Garden

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedArcher68

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm in the process of designing my garden and would like to place electrics in the garden. (There are currently no electrics in the garden)

I would like to install

Shed - Power Sockets and Light

Wooden Gazebo / Summer House - Lights and Sockets (Maybe Electic Outdoor Heater)

Garden Path and low wall lights (not sure how many as yet)

Garden Waterproof Double Electric Socket

I think I'll run the cables to and from the fuse box.

How deep underground should I run the cables and what type of conduit should I use

Using LED lights in the Shed, Gazebo and garden how many could I possibly install

What is the maximum number of sockets I can install

Any advice on installation or something that I may have missed.

Any advice welcome

Regards

To offer a few of comments:

Keep all outdoor circuits separate to the house so that outdoor faults/trips don't affect your house.

There is no practical limit, (except cost), to how many sockets, etc, but start from the other end and think what appliances you may actually use.

Depending on the layout of your out-buildings, a sub main from the house to one of the out-buildings and a consumer unit there is a likely solution. Feeder cable probably SWA, rather than conduit.

Again no practical limit to how many led lights. You get a lot of light for your watt with leds.!

Ornamental lighting around the garden, I would advise low voltage "plug & play" as safest, reliable, and versatile to your garden changes.

I suggest you firstly think through what equipment you really want to have and then approach a couple of electricians for quotes.

Hi Geoff

Thanks for the advice will definitely put a sub fuse box in the shed. What size gauge would I need for the feeder SWA Cable. I will be doing most of the first fix electrical work as this job will take me months to complete.

Also any idea of depth I should be burying the cable (8 - 12 inches)?

Regards

Simon

I'd have a chat with the electrician you intend to use to connect up/test/commission the new install first. You'll quite likely struggle to get anybody onboard after you've first fixed, they'll want to see it at various stages, or I certainly would anyway. They'll be able to recommend cable based on the site and a calculation, there are a lot of factors to take account of, installation methods, cable length, protective devices etc etc.

Thanks for the advice will definitely put a sub fuse box in the shed. What size gauge would I need for the feeder SWA Cable. I will be doing most of the first fix electrical work as this job will take me months to complete.

Everybody who asks me to come and sign off work gets politely told I won’t do it

so my advice, like Boltonspark is to find a spark before you do anything, or you could spend time and money, then have to start again

and what you are suggesting may fall under apart P of the building regs too

What size gauge would I need for the feeder SWA Cable. 

Without knowing other related installation design factors it is impossible for anyone to guess the correct cable size required.

Some people have the misconception that there are default cable sizes for particular circuits...

assuming something like; 

lights = v

sockets = w

cookers = x

showers = y

sheds = z

etc..

where v,w,x,y,z are standard off-the-shelf cables...

This is completely wrong, as various calculations based around the load, cable length, protective devices used,

have to be evaluated to ensure a new circuit will fail-safe in the event of a fault..

Just picking a random size, would possibly work.. (for a period of time)..  But NOT fail safe..

If you are expecting someone to come along later and just issue a BS7671 electrical certificate for the new work,

that person would be taking on legal obligations for the safety of the circuit..

as there is a signed declaration box on an electrical certificate to confirm it has been designed/installed & tested to confirm it complies with current regs (BS7671)..

As a general rule, not many electricians with an understanding of potential dangers of electricity,

(it can kill a healthy adult in less than half a second),

are willing to risk their lively hood, or having legal proceedings charged against them for someone else's DIY attempt at cost-cutting..

As has been said earlier..

the best solution is get your prospective electrician on board at the start with correct design & cable selection..

Then they will also be able to confirm what stages of the work they are happy for you to do..

and at what points in the job they would want to check any specific installation techniques prior to final fix & testing etc.

In principal not much different to larger company having a team of guys doing installation and others who then do testing / commissioning etc..,

or when local council building control visit to check the stages of a building project..

But the bottom line is without knowing 100% that some work is fully compliant..

you would have to be an idiot to sign a certificate to say that it is!

:coffee