New fire safety officer, switch ID?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fantom

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just taken on responsibility of fire safety for a local village hall.

I need to test the emergency lighting on a regular basis.

I've found two test switches which take the fish-tail keys, but there's another type that I need help identifying. Any help identifying the switch in the attachment would be great, along with the type of key to fit.

Many thanks!

rsz_screenshot_20211214-175747.jpg

What key do you currently have because if it is slim enough it will push into the slots, top turns it off and bottom on. An MEM key will do this, MK which is common probably won't. 

The chances of getting a key for that is slim as it is old possibly Crabtree.

Last edited by a moderator:
What key do you currently have because if it is slim enough it will push into the slots, top turns it off and bottom on. An MEM key will do this, MK which is common probably won't. 

The chances of getting a key for that is slim as it is old possibly Crabtree.
That's great, thank you!

Current key, which fits newer switch, is attached.

s-l400.jpg

rsz_img_20211019_162906.jpg

never seen one of those. Just turn power off at board if the place is empty and you can do that wthout causing problems. 
It's probably from the mid 80's.

Turning the power off is certainly a good fall back option.

Thanks.

The Crabtree grid system has maintained compatibility for years and looking at the six gang switch you see a mix of "new" and older types so an electrician should be able to change the key switch or the whole switch unit at a small cost.

I've got one of those keys on my "I will need this one day" test key ring

i think it is a late 70s/early 80s Crabtree as said earlier

I can post a pic tomorrow with dimensions if you want so you can make one
A picture would be great thanks!

Not familiar with that particular switch however given that @Fleeting has given a description couldn’t you just grind one leg off one of the keys that you have? 
Yep, that would work.

I'm sure you are correct, but I can visualise some safety officers having reservations about poking a paperclip into an unknown aperture on an unknown fitting!
I was a little hesitant using the metal fish tail keys on the more modern, labelled socket...
That's exactly why I thought it best to ask about the older one.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help.
I'll see what I can do the next time I'm at the village hall.

Latest posts