new here, south uk, going for nvq

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon1138

Reaction score
hello, 

my name is simon, i am 39 and still trying to get my nvq 3.

i started in 2006, chose electrician from all other trades and still think that i made a good choice. started by buying a book and doing my 16th edition. HS assessment and certificate got me on site. worked for around a year and a half. after finishing a job i signed on, then got offered a trainee position in the dock yard as marine electrician. took it and got my nvq 3 marine electrician. left the dockyard as it was a toxic environment with no future for me. i have been in and out of work, not all electrical since then. i worked at bbc elstree as a workshop electrician where i fixed lights for eastenders. i was there for a year and now looking to go back onto building sites. i managed to get a gold card using my nvq 3 and marine electrician title. i want to go back as a mate, being out of installation work and not thinking about it has left me with wet feet. i have lost my confidence, resulting in me buying a conduit bender, conduit and threader to relearn conduit bending. length of trunking and hacksaw to learn that, consumer unit, cables, sockets and kt52 tester to make and test circuits. did my 18th, got regs, onsite guide, GN3 and inspection and testing book by christ kitchner. i use brian scaddans training provider as it is local, fairly cheap and courses that i want, they will have an am2 centre soon as well which would be easier than booking with southampton which i understand has a year waiting list?

any advice for a person in my position, i do use facebook as well but most of those people seem like pi**takers who like making unpleasant comments and talk about "plastic" electricians.

thanks, all the best

simon 

Latest posts