New Hotpoint washer dryer making banging noises

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Model: RDG8643WWUKN

Bought this from Appliances direct. High ratings for efficiency etc and reasonable price (About £350) so went ahead.

When its running (on wash or dry) there is a bang on the water pipes every 15 or 20 seconds. The dryer is useless and a tea towel on its own is still wet after half an hour. Phoned Shop and was told to ring manufacturer for an uplift number to get rid as I don't reckon its any good. We have a holiday let and put it in there for guests to use as well as for doing general laundry when changing over guests. (check out is 10am and check in at 3pm) so sometimes only  a few hrs to get a load done and it takes 4 hrs to wash/ dry and the stuff is never dry even after all that time? Is it possible that banging is the solenoid opening and closing all the time even when drying - would account for stuff still being wet?

All they say is 'we'll send an engineer' I would rather send it back. It would be a hassle having an engineer visit due to the holiday let having bookings, I would have to take the machine out and plumb in to main house.

Any ideas?

Thanks

James

if youve just bought it, send it back. go to the place you bought it from. they may try and tell you to go to manufacturer etc but sales of goods act says otherwise, just remind them of their legal obligations and that since its faulty you want a full refund

and i doubt its the cause here, but you did remove the transport bolts, didnt you?

Last edited by a moderator:
if youve just bought it, send it back. go to the place you bought it from. they may try and tell you to go to manufacturer etc but sales of goods act says otherwise, just remind them of their legal obligations and that since its faulty you want a full refund

and i doubt its the cause here, but you did remove the transport bolts, didnt you?
absolutely. first thing I did after unpacking. Other washing machine doesnt affect the pipes. The hotpoint is in a separate annexe and I can hear the pipes knocking on the other side of the house (quite a distance) Shop says if its more than 30 days since bought you have to take up with manufacturer.

Shop says if its more than 30 days since bought you have to take up with manufacturer.

wrong. over 30 days then you cannot demand a refund (instead seler must be given a change to repair / replace before refund), however seller is still responsible, not manufacturer

have a look here

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl

and banging pipes sounds like water hammer. so it could be solenoid open / closing. have you tried a cycle but turning off the water after its filled?

and banging pipes sounds like water hammer. so it could be solenoid open / closing. have you tried a cycle but turning off the water after its filled?
Yes thats the next step. We have guests in the place at the moment. very busy so need a days break between people to do some proper investigation. It would explain the poor drying if theres water coming in all the time. I just wondered if theres an ongoing issue with these machines.

Is this banging on the pipes continuous throughout the whole cycle or just at times?

A lot of machines now (ours does this) instead of filling the drum on one go, fill it slowly by turning the water on and off in short bursts.  If the solenoid valve is a bit quick in it's shut off you might be getting water hammer?  But this would only be during filling cycles, not throughout the whole was cycle.

I have never had a washer / dryer that was any good at drying.

If it's an unvented dryer which uses cold water to condense then perhaps it lets water into the condenser in short bursts.(?)

I agree washer dryers have a lot of design compromises which makes them less than ideal at either job.

Water hammer can be a plumbing issue. Long runs of poorly secured pipe (?)  Trapped air(?)

If it's an unvented dryer which uses cold water to condense then perhaps it lets water into the condenser in short bursts.(?)

I agree washer dryers have a lot of design compromises which makes them less than ideal at either job.

Water hammer can be a plumbing issue. Long runs of poorly secured pipe (?)  Trapped air(?)
that makes sense Geoff, supposedly really eco in that it uses less energy etc but no use if it doesnt dry properly

The water pipe hammer may not be linked to the dryer not working.

I had my Beko washer/dryer to bits today as the dryer wasn’t heating and everything came out wet.

it turned out to be a faulty TOC (thermal overload cutout) and all is now good again in Mrs Pops world.

Sorry I am late (Don't come here often)

You need to know how a WD works first.

Washing is pretty much the same as any other WM.

Drying isn't the same, there are some facts you need to know.

1) You can't dry all of the load you just washed, if a full washload you must take out 50% of it to dry.

2) it takes 4 times as long to dry with a WD than it does with a WM and TD

3) A TD dries differently than a WD

4) A WD is a good idea, problem is they are cr*p

A Tumble Dryer works by blowing hot air over the clothes then the damp air exits via a vent pipe, where is the vent pipe for a Washer Dryer? it hasn't got one.

So how does it work?

A WD heats air with a different heater than the one that heats the water. This drying heater sits on top of the drum blowing air into the drum at the front.

Once this hot air has been blown in its only way out is via the inner drum's hundreds of holes, but where does it go after that?

At the back of the outer drum is a 2 inch (ish) hole the now used air goes out this hole.

This hole has a double walled pipe connected to it, most of this pipe goes back up to the heater on the top, and the whole process starts again?

The "clever bit" the double walled pipe has hot damp air coming from the drum, the other part of the double walled pipe has.............cold water running down it to cool the pipe so the hot air can condense on it, this condensation and the cold water running, run down to the pump and get pumped to waste.

The cold water running down may be in "spurts" (IDK) but that is how a WD works.

Most folk buy them thinking they save space, can dry what was just washed, and so save money, what happens is, folk realise they can only do a wash or dry, the dry takes "for ever" they wish they had never got one.

Your choice what you do, but me? would I have one ?

NOPE!😜

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your comprehensive reply Richard

I think you are right. However, half an hours 'drying' with just a tea towel in it and still comes out damp? That cant be right. Its supposed to be oh so eco, but seriously, squirting fresh water in to aid condensation? so that water just going down the drain then. Kicking myself for buying it now, wasn't my idea and I didnt want it but I don't know best :)  the only way is to buy a separate dryer and put it somewhere else. Just had leccy bill for the first 9 weeks of living here .... £211 eeek. I have put it down to having 3 x 10.5kw showers in the house as well as the aforementioned not so eco friendly washer dampener....

Latest update on this... if you are interested

'Engineer' called and checked machine (Nov 22nd) basically says there's nothing wrong with it and wrote his report.

Today I get a bill for £60 for his visit!

Not happy and not paying

You need legal advice, but from this end I would suggest you pay, and try and claim it back, since Hotpoint have a huge legal dept and..........

Moral of this story, NEVER buy a washer dryer.

Latest posts