New lathe install

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clancey

Reaction score
Hi folks. Not really a DIY, but I'm a bit flaky with my electrical knowledge.

I have a new 3 phase lathe just delivered, it's a 3 phase machine that I need to run from 230v. I know I'm looking at needing a converter/inverter, that's where my knowledge ends! (Unless we're talking about much smaller stuff)

The lathe motor is rated at 1.47kw and there are 4 wires out of the back, sadly no mention of startup draw. When the shed was built a 16a circuit was put in with this kind of thig in mind so I shouldn't (fingers crossed) have any tripping issues.

The question is, what exactly do I need between the wall and the Lathe? I'm maybe getting confused watching too many videos, people talking about modified 2 phase and the requirement might be really simple.

The lathe isn't going to be used for 8 hours every day, it'll get relatively light use for what it is, but if I'm going to do this I'm going to do it right. And no, I can't get 3 phase installed. Well, I could if I want to spend 20k, which I don't!

Please let me know your thoughts.
Many thanks.

You need a single phase to 3 phase converter often also referred to as an inverter.
I use several pieces of 3 phase kit including a decent size lathe all connected to the single phase supply via their own converters.

You can get cheap and cheerful ones from China at round about the £100 mark to do that, if you go the China route make sure you overspec the converter so you would be wanting at least a 2kW one.
If you go down a more “proper” route you will pay at least double that but they are a much nicer / reliable unit. I now use Invertek but there is several other proper ones, and for a 1.47kW motor you would use a 1.5kW unit.

The converters are soft start so the start up current doesn’t tend to be an issue, I am presuming your shed electrics are up to spec.

You may need to get some professional help setting it up if you are not happy with electrical work as the motor will have to be connected in a Delta configuration and you will also need to sort out the control (on, off, speed control) either by using the lathes present switches (more tricky) or getting / making up your own start stop station.

Just to repeat if you are not confident and competent to do this work please don’t, as electricity is just not worth the risk. Also if this is commercial and not DIY you will for sure need professional help.

Where roughly in the country are you?

Thanks guys. While 'normal' electrics is fine with me 3 phase stuff knocks my brain out of whack so I contacted SimplyPowerSupplies who are going to have a good look at everything. Being a new lathe it has a pretty big control board and some other kind of transformer in it. They've suggested a rotary or motor setup to make sure the power is as stable as possible. It might cost a few extra pennies but I'm sure it's worth the peace of mind.
I'll post lathe details and what they recommend when they've had a good look through the lathe manual.
Thanks again for your help.

A lot of motors can be wired star or delta and will operate at 240V 3 phase from an inverter. I did one for a friend last year.

Sometimes it is viable just to change the motor for a single phase one. There is a reason 3 phase lathes are usually cheaper than single phase.

I would change the motor for a single phase one. Why on earth did you buy a 3 phase lathe?