New PIR light with switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avi

Reaction score
Hi Coud i have some advice please? I want to install a PIR light at the front of my house for obvious reason. currently there is no wiring for this. i have pulled a cable in the loft, from existing extrator fan from the bathroom. i have fitted the PIR light to the wall and conect the cable to a 20amp 4 terminal junction box in the loft.
Ii have a 2 gang switch, I want to use for the loft light and the 2nd switch for PIR, but im stuck with connecting the cables, to the switch. i get as far as connecting the live cable, from mains cable to comms, but stuck after that, would any one be willingot help please ? TIA, attached pictures of the junction box and switch.

Attachments

• JB.jpg
    JB.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 20
  • Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 17
HI Richard
The PIR i have is a Luceco 50w with Brown (live), Blue(neutral), yellow & green(earth) cable.

well you want to connect your grey (switched line) to L1 on the switch. Don't forget to put some brown sleeving on to indicate a live conductor.
You don't really need to bring the neutral (black) to the switch unless you're planning to do something with it at a later date?

Also, put the supply line conductor (brown) in the terminal properly, or cut it shorter if it's too long, or route it from the side it comes in.

well you want to connect your grey (switched line) to L1 on the switch. Don't forget to put some brown sleeving on to indicate a live conductor.
You don't really need to bring the neutral (black) to the switch unless you're planning to do something with it at a later date?

Also, put the supply line conductor (brown) in the terminal properly, or cut it shorter if it's too long, or route it from the side it comes in.
Thanks, i dont have any plans for the future just want to use PIR and loft light from the switch. If put brown cable from 3core + earth in to common and put grey (swithed line) in to L1, that will operate the PIR light.
To use 2nd switch for loft light ( 2core + earth, Black, Red cable), do i connect common to common from 1st swith to 2nd swirtch with short red cable and the put red cable from loft light to L2 in 2nd switch and terminate both netutral and earth using the terminal strip block and tape it with electrical tape?

Why short red cable between commons?
In single phase installations, the Line conductor should be brown on any new cabling now... neutral is blue and cpc/earth is green/yellow.

But yes, loop your commons together.
Red from your light fixture goes to L1.
Black (neutral) from your light fixture to the black feed from your junction box - ideally put blue sleeving on that.
Similarly with your cpcs, if your light switch is going in a metal backbox, secure them in the backbox connection, or if plastic then put a wago or similar.
If you have a metal switch faceplate then make sure that's earthed to the cpc connections too.

Why short red cable between commons?
In single phase installations, the Line conductor should be brown on any new cabling now... neutral is blue and cpc/earth is green/yellow.

But yes, loop your commons together.
Red from your light fixture goes to L1.
Black (neutral) from your light fixture to the black feed from your junction box - ideally put blue sleeving on that.
Similarly with your cpcs, if your light switch is going in a metal backbox, secure them in the backbox connection, or if plastic then put a wago or similar.
If you have a metal switch faceplate then make sure that's earthed to the cpc connections too.
Thanks fro the above, just finished the cable work and it works. now just got to sort the timer and sensor range!!