New solar install Nothing but trouble

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougle34

Reaction score
I got a system install 3 weeks ago by a company called Rest. They first said i could have 16 panels on roof then they said 11 over two roof which would need extra for install because of scaffolding, Did need and men install 11 panel  was told they where better 4 kw panel as well as a 4k battery system. All installed and asked installer about the app to use had no clue he said never done a system with the brand of kit. They forgot the wifi dongle. Posted out to me and i installed it. The system then showed up an Alarm saying no battery present. That will not  be sorted until next week when they call back.. I though the system would be able to run some items in house when there was a power outage ( we have a lot & sister is disabled ) the company said i never ask for that and house would need rewiring and a switch install, they do not do that ??? How would i got  about to get this sorted. Live at BT49 9NB

they said they would need to split the fuse box and connect up what sockets i will be running, also the system supply is 16Amp where a homes plugs use 32 amp

what make of inverter do you have? Panels would be 400w not kW - would love a single panel that does 4kW, what an easy installation that would be  :^O

I'm guessing you have a hybrid inverter? These usually have a plug for items you wish to keep running during a power outage, such as a fridge or freezer. So it's normal to connect such items to this plug, or cct to this plug which would mean rejigging the board or rewiring part of the cct(s).  It is possible to backfeed the entire house, but then you would need a 'change over switch' to isolate the mains supply, other wise you would be backfeeding the national grid. If this is a priority for you, then I would suggest a much bigger battery, as you need to programme the inverter to maintain a level of charge in the battery. 16A ie 4kW refers to the maximum power that the inverter will backfeed to your electrics. Doesn't matter if connected to a 32A cct. You also need to configure the inverter to maintain a minimum level of charge if you want to use for a back-up supply. If this is a frequent occurrence, and for any length of time, then you probably need a much bigger battery. 

Split array on roof wil cost more for scaffolding, which is priced by meterage, ie 10m will cost twice as much as 5m sort of thing. 

just did check online to match what i have and i think its 'Solis SOLIS-RHI-3K-48ES-DC Hybrid Inverter'