New sparky on this forum, needing help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P&Q

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have started my own sole trader business recently. I have found out that this website is the best electrician website i have been on. Thank you and God bless you all for spending your time sharing your knowledge with others.

My question is; i have been called out by a client to go and add a new socket to the existing ones in their bedroom. when i went to look at the main fuse box to check out the situation, i found the main earth cable lying there disconnected, (it's coming out of the fuse box but it's not connected to the main supply) I looked a lot to find out where it had been taken out from, but i did not get anywhere. therefor this house is not protected by any earthing system. I asked the lanlord and they said they have been there for 5 years and they dont have any info about these things. they dont have any electrical certificates or anything either. i have also taken some pics hoping that they would make it clearer(i used my phone so they may not be so good). hope they are useful!

I need to know what i can do about this situation, i would appreciate your help!

Daniel

100.jpg

200.jpg

300.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

I have heard of this before - Did you phone the DNO? (They will probably tell you that they are under no obligation to supply an earth - DON'T take my word for that though).

The experienced sparks should be on here within the next hour. :D

(I'm still learning the trade).

Can you put the pics on here Please?

And Finally - Thank you for your kind words about the forum and it's members (you are included in that too :p ).

And Well done for taking the plunge. (May be too late for you - But I have recently added a Business Page, with help from our very own Mr Kme. :D

Can you help me How can i put the pics on here Please?

When i went to look at the main fuse box to check out the situation, i found the main earth cable lying there disconnected, (it's coming out of the fuse box but it's not connected to the main supply) I looked a lot to find out where it had been taken out from, but i did not get anywhere. therefor this house is not protected by any earthing system.
It sound like there is no Main Earthing Terminal either from your post? So therefore no main equipotential bonding to gas and water either?

I presume that this is a TN system not a TT supply?

Have you uploaded them from your phone to your PC? (My Pictures or where ever you store your pictures on your PC).

If so, Have you got a Photo Bucket Hosting account? (or equivulent).

If so - Follow the steps in this thread HERE. :D

sorry for the delay in uploading the pictures, cuz it was my first time and i was trying to find the best way to put them up, and then my pc crashed! so finally i did it, here they are! i hope they help!

Thanks again,

Daniel

100.jpg

200.jpg

300.jpg

It sound like there is no Main Earthing Terminal either from your post? So therefore no main equipotential bonding to gas and water either?I presume that this is a TN system not a TT supply?
Hi,

thanks for your respons, i have uploaded the pictures now, I hope they can help.

Appears to be TN-S; unless the label I can see is for PME???

Contact DNO, explain earth clamp on cable sheath missing, and property is not earthed. If you ask nicely, they MAY come and provide a clamp, or a PME terminal.

If they won`t - and installation allows - make it TT.

KME

I'm not a spark but did you look in the CU. Could there be an earth from somewhere else? TT earth straight into CU, rather from electricity company?

It looks like tns to me. I am looking into purchasing some proper earth clamps and tool to fit them to tns cables. Will keep you informed when they come in.

batty

I note the Consumer unit has a Rcd main switch, Is this a TT system ? The 17th edition states one Rcd is not acceptable (my opinion is, it never was) so a simple job you are doing now means you may have to change that Consumer unit.

Before anyone argues this point read up on the Part P rules about regs etc.

The head does look like a TNS. The old earth connection may have corroded away and the earth cable has never been connected since the house was rewired, the electrician may have left it turned off and the owner switched it on .

I note the Consumer unit has a Rcd main switch, Is this a TT system ? The 17th edition states one Rcd is not acceptable (my opinion is, it never was) so a simple job you are doing now means you may have to change that Consumer unit.Before anyone argues this point read up on the Part P rules about regs etc.

The head does look like a TNS. The old earth connection may have corroded away and the earth cable has never been connected since the house was rewired, the electrician may have left it turned off and the owner switched it on .
Thanks, I spoke to my client, and she called the DNO they said that this is a job for the electrician, now I was wondering if you had any suggestions as to what i can do now, have you had any experience in this?