New To Storage Heaters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

charliefoy

Reaction score
Hi, I've just moved flat, and it is heated by electric heaters which I have never used before. After researching electric heaters I have found that most of them have an Input/Output control, however I am having difficulty with learning the best way to use the heaters in my flat as I only have one dial and what appears to be a thermostat or timer. The thermostat/timer is rotary and has small notches which have two available positions. There are two other switches next to these controls too; Any help would be greatly appreciated in regards to using the heater properly and efficiently, thanks. (there is no brand name or model on any of the heaters, they are all the same throughout the property) 

(tried to supply photo's but I don't have enough posts, can pm photo's if needed)

That sounds like a panel heater (convector heater) not a storage heater.

Is it a slim thing hung on a wall?  Or a big heavy thing that although fixed to the wall, goes right down to the floor and stands on a couple of feet?

That sounds like a panel heater (convector heater) not a storage heater.

Is it a slim thing hung on a wall?  Or a big heavy thing that although fixed to the wall, goes right down to the floor and stands on a couple of feet?
Yeah, slim on the wall with a power switch below and just to the right on the wall

Yeah, slim on the wall with a power switch below and just to the right on the wall
so that's not a storage heater.  that's just an electric convector heater.

The timer lets you have it come on automatically when you want it, and the thermostat will turn the heater off when the room temperature gets to the level you want.

The other switch is usually to select one of 2 different power levels depending how quick you want the room to heat up.

In an all electric home,. it's common to have storage heaters in the living rooms, and panel heaters in the bedrooms that don't need heat in the daytime.

Assuming you are on an off peak tariff then any electricity you use over night will be at the cheap rate, so keeping the bedroom warm all night, or just heating it early in the morning will mostle be using cheap rate electricity.

Ok thanks, I was just confused about the input/output settings and why i didn't have them. Thanks for clearing it up. 

Status
Not open for further replies.