New to UK - general 13A Socket question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky1958

Reaction score
in difference to many other countries where wall sockets are 16A rated, UK sockets are 13A rated.
Unfortunately there aren't RCBOs with 13A rating, so as I understand the only choice is fusing each socket, or connecting each socket to a 10A RCBO to exclude the danger of overloading a socket.
I saw many installations using separate fuse holders installed in the wall underneath the ceilings - which to my taste looks ugly.
I found DIN rail mounted fuse holders, so the idea is to let all sockets run to a separate fuse box before entering the distribution box.
Would this practise conflict with any UK regulations ( f.e. hypothetically, that a fuse has to be in line with the socket it corresponds to.

All 13A plugtops are fused. 13A sockets are commonly installed on ring cirucits fused at 32A although you will often find 16 or 20A radial circuits in use as well (32A radials in 4mm sometimes as well). Building 'christmas trees' of unfused adapters is discouraged. 13A MCBs are sometimes available, but very rarely used and you will not need them

I'd advise working alongside someone who is familiar with installation practices over here.

All 13A plugtops are fused. 13A sockets are commonly installed on ring cirucits fused at 32A although you will often find 16 or 20A radial circuits in use as well (32A radials in 4mm sometimes as well). Building 'christmas trees' of unfused adapters is discouraged. 13A MCBs are sometimes available, but very rarely used and you will not need them

I'd advise working alongside someone who is familiar with installation practices over here.
Thanks for your fast answer. Fused plug tops are nice, but not very helpful for overload protection of the circuit.
Found myself with a commercial installation, where 2 double wall sockets connected by a 2.5sqm cable has been connected to a 20A mcb.
I think, that's not the right way to do. So I have 2 choices - opening the wall and install one of these fuse holders or - and that's my question - building a fuse box distribution using DIN rail fuses
1654077643469.png
vs
1654077855966.png

The circuit is fine with regard to the cable and protective device it doesn't require further circuit protection.

The circuit is fine with regard to the cable and protective device it doesn't require further circuit protection.
Only for my own better understanding.
So the double socket, which is marked as 13A is 2 x 13A and not 13A as a total split in half?

Thanks for your fast answer. Fused plug tops are nice, but not very helpful for overload protection of the circuit.
Found myself with a commercial installation, where 2 double wall sockets connected by a 2.5sqm cable has been connected to a 20A mcb.
I think, that's not the right way to do. So I have 2 choices - opening the wall and install one of these fuse holders or - and that's my question - building a fuse box distribution using DIN rail fuses
View attachment 13595
vs
View attachment 13596
Plugtops are not fused but the plugs are. The purpose is to protect the cable between said plug and the appliance. The circuit up to the socket is protected at the MCB just like in other countries.

The point is that you can have lots of 13amp sockets on a circuit that are rated more than the Mcb/Rcbo, its the cable which is protected by the Mcb/Rcbo, not the plugged-in item that is why we have fused plug tops.

And "2 double wall sockets connected by a 2.5sqm cable has been connected to a 20A mcb" is fine for the same reason as above ok?

The point is that you can have lots of 13amp sockets on a circuit that are rated more than the Mcb/Rcbo, its the cable which is protected by the Mcb/Rcbo, not the plugged-in item that is why we have fused plug tops.

And "2 double wall sockets connected by a 2.5sqm cable has been connected to a 20A mcb" is fine for the same reason as above ok?

Ok got it, it's a new concept for me to take basically only the cable size as a calculation for the mcb or rcbo in the case of the 13A sockets.

Yes I posted something similar recently.
I found I had a 13A socket for the door bell transformer spurred off a 6A lighting circuit.
The 6A "fuse" protects the wiring, even if a 3kW fan heater was "accidently" plugged in.

Yes I posted something similar recently.
I found I had a 13A socket for the door bell transformer spurred off a 6A lighting circuit.
The 6A "fuse" protects the wiring, even if a 3kW fan heater was "accidently" plugged in.
Well that was rather silly.

No we don’t. It is the plugs that are fused not their lids.
Plugtops are not fused but the plugs are.

Well those comments are both rather silly...

As once again you are talking tosh!
It is common practice to refer to a complete 13 amp plug as a "PLUG TOP"...

and has been for many many many years..

e.g.
https://cpc.farnell.com/c/plugs/plug-tops

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Distribution_and_Switchgear_Index/Plug_Top_Fuses/index.html

https://www.electricpoint.com/bg-electrical-13a-heavy-duty-plug-top-3-pin-black.html

I could go on.. But I wont.

May I suggest you do some research before posting trivial nit-picking comments in future?

No that isn't me at that party with a plug top cocktail,I can tell the house I never broke any parliamentary rules , I may have a plug bottom but I am still prime loony of the farmrum.
Yours hesitantly
BJ

Well those comments are both rather silly...

As once again you are talking tosh!
It is common practice to refer to a complete 13 amp plug as a "PLUG TOP"...
Not by sensible people.
It is clearly wrong.
and has been for many many many years..

e.g.
https://cpc.farnell.com/c/plugs/plug-tops

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Distribution_and_Switchgear_Index/Plug_Top_Fuses/index.html

https://www.electricpoint.com/bg-electrical-13a-heavy-duty-plug-top-3-pin-black.html

I could go on.. But I wont.

May I suggest you do some research before posting trivial nit-picking comments in future?
I am aware that various retailers/wholesales are wrong as well. How about trying to correct them rather than just accepting their ignorance.