Newbie Career Change Advice - Thanks In Advance

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale68

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am joining for a bit of advice as looking for a Career Change. I am fully qualified Mechanical Engineer (Time Served Press Tool Maker) ONC, HNC (Old School). I have only tinkered with Domestic Electrics but have a good knowledge of Science, Maths and in recent years Sales. I am finding my present work is, year by year, moving abroad. I do not believe at the present rate that their will be enough work to keep me going for another 30 years so am putting feelers out now.

I would be aiming to get qualified in a self employed role but am confused with the courses advertised (college looks the preferred route-which means night courses to begin with) and realise from research that other people have gone down routes that have not fulfilled their expectations. e.g. crash courses for up to £5000.00. I appreciate that a decent job means hard graft and not just pieces of paper. This I envisage taking years.

I have good connections (mainly through sporting friends) in various Construction Trades who have offered help as and when I need to make the big decision e.g., when the practical experience part of the change over occurs. It would be great if a variety of opinion from yourselves could be added to what I have already to help me go down the correct path.

My questions are:

A) What initial qualifications would enable me to start working part time for a qualified Electrician. ( Will C&G 2365 level 2 be adequate ).

B) Are their any Crash Courses available that would help me on the way. I can't waste dosh but am happy to invest, to help me get to the A point above.

I have a friend who runs a Kitchen fitting business who is happy to take me on (not as an Electrician) but can train me up while using me elsewhere, therefore increasing the technicality of the work on the electrical side as the training progresses. He has a few Electricians who he uses but (as the decent ones are usually busy) he could do with having other options-eg, me being his ***** ;-). 

Hope this makes a bit of sense.

A bit of advice would be much appreciated. 

Cheers

Mark

A-    you can work for an eectrician with no qualifications.

B-  read some IET books, doing the regs course wouldnt hurt if your that keen

My questions are:

A) What initial qualifications would enable me to start working part time for a qualified Electrician. ( Will C&G 2365 level 2 be adequate ).

Level 2 (2365) will be a good starting point and it will give you basic skills with installing the basic circuits using various types of cables and enclosures, the hardest things will be understanding how how to install these circuits in a real installation, getting from the consumer unit to the other side of the building, through walls and under floor boards but this will come with experience. I would recommend that you do both the level 2 & 3 back to back, that way you shouldn't forget what you have been taught and you will finish with a more recognised qualification (Level 3 2365) and have a good basic understanding of Inspection and testing and design.

B) Are their any Crash Courses available that would help me on the way. I can't waste dosh but am happy to invest, to help me get to the A point above.

There are more intensive (2365&2357) courses and whilst some will disagree with them, they may have some advantages especially over a day release course that takes 2-3 years and you are not already working in the industry. Such as the knowledge is fresh in your head by the time you take your exams and finish the courses, you could be earning better wages quicker. From experience a lot of people who tend to do the level 2 & 3 day release whilst working on a desk job or unrelated to Electrical Installations, tend not to eventually work as an Electrician. The 4 year Apprenticeship is always the preffered route, this way you get 4 years on the job experience, with one day a week at college and getting paid, this is also the most recognised and approved route. But again this isn't for everyone especially if you have kids, mortgage and over the age of 24, funding stops at the age of 24 and some apprentices will get get paid as little as £5.50 an hour. If you can get a job in the industry and day release course this is almost as good as an Apprenticeship. 

I have a friend who runs a Kitchen fitting business who is happy to take me on (not as an Electrician) but can train me up while using me elsewhere, therefore increasing the technicality of the work on the electrical side as the training progresses. He has a few Electricians who he uses but (as the decent ones are usually busy) he could do with having other options-eg, me being his ***** ;-). 

Whilst you may not learn a lot about electrical installations, this will give you a lot of hands on tools experience and other skills that are vital in our trade, there is nothing stopping you from doing minor works like changing over sockets and switches whilst working on the kitchens either, this will build your confidence and give you minor electrical experience.

Answers in red good luck, let us know if you need to know anything else. Just keep on the right track by doing the correct qualifications i.e. 2365 & 2357 and when picking a college or provider do some background research on them.

Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the information and answers guys.

Nozspark - My present Job involves selling to large metal cutting companies ( 1 being TATA ) it is getting so hard to get target with so much dropping out of the country at present. I have come to the conclusion we are (as a country) not interested in Manufacturing on a large scale any more. Two of the market leaders in my trade have had redundancies over the past 6 months. My employer's are ok at present, but the writing is on the wall. Electrician Particular as it has potential on Domestic, Commercial and Industrial. I have also been interested in the field but never in a position to give it a go.

Pewter and eodneil, thanks very much for your clear advise. I worked today for the Kitchen Fitter and his boss wants me back to negotiate a way forward. He has offered a Van and full kit as he is expanding and was very happy with my initial work. Early days but at least, far from a "no thanks pal." I discussed plans on my Electrician route and he was very interested so if I can get the Kitchen Fitting under my belt he may even help out with course costs etc.

Thanks for the info as I have a better Idea of a direction forward.