newbie (diy)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elecdiv

Reaction score
Hi,
just had an EICR done (in preparation for getting an EVSE), and just came by to try to better understand all the various things that have been marked up.

Dave

Thanks for that, I'll take a look.

115 observations in total - lots of C2's and a few C3's, with some FI's and Notes

4xC1's:
  • 5.13 provision of fire barriers (section 527)
  • 5.14 band II cables segragated / separated from band I cables (528.1)
  • 5.15 cables segregated / separated from comms cabling (528.2)
  • 5.16 cables ... from non-electrical services (528.3)

House is from the 60's, and I'm not sure to what extent the wiring has been updated (possibly never). Possibly first ever inspection. And I think previous owners have bodged quite a few things (especially in the garage). So some observations cover obvious things like lack of RCD's (which I really do need to get round to upgrading.)

Actually, maybe it's not quite so bad: the first 73 are in plain English, but then the rest are quoting inspection schedule numbers, so they must just be going back over those same things in a more formal way ? E.g. one specific socket is flagged as cracked, and then later there's "inspection schedule 5.12.1" (paraphrasing) - a socket outlet is in a potentially dangerous condition, so I guess that's the same thing again.

- is the "inspection schedule" a specific document that's available for download ?

Some C2's are ceiling roses with "signs of thermal damage" (or are they just off-white because they're really old ..?) cpc not connected to light switch - but if I read the document correctly, that shouldn't have been flagged at all ? Quite a few "basic insulation exposed to touch".

C3's are things like the consumer unit is made of combustable material, and is missing some labels. Gas bonding conductor incorrectly terminated with no ring crimps, and no "do not remove" tag.

Some software packages do effectively can report the same thing twice or more!

The package I use allows me to add notes about this stuff

What does the "summary of installation" say?

Thanks for that, I'll take a look.

115 observations in total - lots of C2's and a few C3's, with some FI's and Notes

4xC1's:
  • 5.13 provision of fire barriers (section 527)
  • 5.14 band II cables segragated / separated from band I cables (528.1)
  • 5.15 cables segregated / separated from comms cabling (528.2)
  • 5.16 cables ... from non-electrical services (528.3)
i would not consider any of those to be C1. C2 at worst

no other comments at all?

when you get to 5 posts you should be able to load photo's etc

"See page 3 for a summary of the general condition ..." but pages 2-8 are the observations, and nothing on p3 stands out.

Ah, page 9 has a "general condition of the installation", and says
"Aging installation with a large number of non-conformities. No 30mA RCD protection installed to required circuits".

(And with regard to the numbers in the "inspection schedule" I mentioned, that schedule is just listed on the following pages, with refs to wiring reg sections.)

Ah, page 9 has a "general condition of the installation", and says
"Aging installation with a large number of non-conformities. No 30mA RCD protection installed to required circuits".

I wonder how many "circuits" this inspector has in mind?

Downstairs/ outside sockets are probably the ones to be singled out

Popcorn at the ready

Garage and downstairs sockets are on separate sockets circuits. Are RCDs recommended for lighting (on new installs)?

Regardless of the rules, I think it would probably be silly not to upgrade to RCDs.

Does there exist on the market a single faceplate (is that the correct term) which combines a 3-pin socket and a fused spur ? One of the faults was that one of the kitchen sockets has a small cable taken from it without any overcurrent protection.

I assume the correct fix would be to replace the socket with a fused spur.