Newbie seeking advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexSheffield

Reaction score
Hi 

Just joined up having found a lot of answers and useful information on here through google over the past few months. Anyway I started retraining as a spark in January, I’m 30 years old with a family and I’m now doing my level 3 with Arena Training in Sheffield while working for a spark as a sort of apprentice without actually being on an apprentice scheme or anything. I plan to stay with him for a good few years after I’m qualified just to get the experience, especially with rewires etc and start maybe picking up some smaller stuff on my own once qualified and I feel ready. Anyway just wandering my best way of gaining some commercial or even industrial experience as my gaffer only does domestic (still interesting work/large properties finished to a high standard so can’t complain) I want to stay working for him mainly but would like some experience doing commercial etc just because I find it interesting and like the idea of doing more metal work, working with large machinery and capacitors etc just brings out my inner nerd more than anything if I’m honest. Any help would be much appreciated thanks

You are on a better road than most in your position  to be honest .    There are very few school leaver apprenticeships  & even less ...lets say , mature apprenticeships . 

You can't beat learning on the job .    Its a long haul with a family to support but plug away at the exams if possible .     Make sure you are doing the correct ones , we can tell on here .....some are a waste of time  that you don't need. 

The only way to gain commercial , industrial experience is  work with someone in the field ,    you may be best off where you are .        Getting practical experience is hard to come by these days so  stick with your domestic guy .    

Discuss anything on here you are not sure about .