Newbie with 49Kw of solar

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris.watling

Reaction score
Hi folks, have had a 4KW array on the roof since the introduction of FIT, amazed with the results so opted to create a 45KW solar array in the field behind my house some 2 year later. SMA tripower inverters sit quite happily outside next to the array. Kept the array under the 50Kw limit to maximise income but had to have three phase connected to the house because of export current. Over the years of uninterrupted service I can say that I have had three faults, One inverter stopped working after three months of service, SMA duly replaced it within two days, I have had a couple of the mc4 connectors literally blow themselves apart most likely due to poor crimping and one earth fault caused by my lawnmower nicking the sheath of the PV string. Faults always seem to occur when the sun is shinning brightest and your cursing because your loosing revenue, my advice is "don't panic look at the problem but don't touch anything and wait till the sun goes down and then investigate" I also have some panels that project east ignorer to catch the morning sun, these panels charge a battery back up system that help to reduce my night time usage SOfar and Goodwe inverters. Well that's about it from me, happy to be member of forum, Chris

Moved to solar as it is mostly about solar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum. Envious of your set up. Not long bought a very big house and just had new roof so asking myself why didnt I get solar while I was at it. Especially now the big bills are rolling in.

Welcome to the forum. Envious of your set up. Not long bought a very big house and just had new roof so asking myself why didnt I get solar while I was at it. Especially now the big bills are rolling in.
well I had to laugh, I'll go for the £35.00 watch lol, yes its possible the best investment I ever made, my monthly bills at present amount to about £30.00 although I pay £51.00, but in credit by £200.00. I monitor usage very closely and enjoy tinkering with my battery back thereby reducing always on usage. SSE pays me about 10K a year for the leccy I send them which is tax free and since I am now retired comes in very handy.

Chris

well I had to laugh, I'll go for the £35.00 watch lol, yes its possible the best investment I ever made, my monthly bills at present amount to about £30.00 although I pay £51.00, but in credit by £200.00. I monitor usage very closely and enjoy tinkering with my battery back thereby reducing always on usage. SSE pays me about 10K a year for the leccy I send them which is tax free and since I am now retired comes in very handy.

Chris
I was a little surprised you managed to get an export tariff