NHBC guidelines on sockets in new builds

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been in 3 relatively new homes in the last week - they all seem to use the NHBC guidelines for the numbers of sockets but the suggested quantities seem a little bit low IMHO

https://nhbc-standards.co.uk/8-serv... six outlets,four outlets for other bedrooms.
The house I was in today , the master bedroom is about as big as the downstairs of our house and there are only 3 x 2G sockets in it. The other bedrooms have 2 x 2G sockets in them. This house cost about £1.5 million

Isn't it about time the NHBC bucked up their ideas and gave some more constructive guidelines? Surely the square meterage of the rooms needs consideration too.

blame the architect. I did one job where the electrical designer had 2 ring mains wired in 4mm cable in the kitchen alone. It wasn't a big kitchen either, nor stacked with electrical gear, just complete overkill.

When I wire a new build, i tell the client to ignore what is on the drawings and then walk around the house with a big black marker pen marking where they actually want sockets.

We don't do domestic but those guidelines seem fine to me, why would a bedroom require so many socket outlets and nor do I see how the cost price of the dwelling is relevant.

We don't do domestic but those guidelines seem fine to me, why would a bedroom require so many socket outlets and nor do I see how the cost price of the dwelling is relevant.
Ah well, the more expensive the house, the more electrical gadgets they tend to have. I don't take much notice of the guidelines, I work on how people use a space. A socket in every corner of a bedroom tends to work well for the client, especially when they decide to move the furniture around. You have to access every job as an individual installation, but a double socket each side of the bed is a minimum these days, and a socket for the hoover near the door works well. Then you have to think about little things like hairdryers and the like.

Agree with Binky on one double socket near the corner of each room, (excluding the door corner), is a good starting point.
obviously kitchens / utilities are a law unto themselves..

The other method is to ask the customer where they think sockets will be needed...
Then ensure every socket is also mirrored onto the opposite wall in case they swap the furniture around!

The bigger the house the more space people have, the greater flexibility they have and the more sockets they need.

buying a new house and having extension leads running everywhere rather spoils the looks

If I’m agreeing a spec for a refurb I go for a minimum of 1 x 2 gang in each corner, 2 x 2g where a tv point is, 1 in the loft, minimum 2 x 2g in the garage, etc

Not forgetting that 553.1.7 does suggest you need sufficient sockets to avoid the use of extension leads..

e.g. taking account to the length of flex on portable appliances and luminaires..
thus bigger room = more sockets.

Not forgetting that 553.1.7 does suggest you need sufficient sockets to avoid the use of extension leads..

e.g. taking account to the length of flex on portable appliances and luminaires..
thus bigger room = more sockets.
Yup! One of my most common observations in commercial/industrial premises: "inadequate provision of socket-outlets in appropriate locations, extension cables permanently in use."

NHBC "help" their members of course and builders looking for more profit can try upselling.
I had calls a few years back from new build home owners wanting prices for extra sockets (too few) and undercabinet lighting (none). The large building company were offering them price per unit as an extra.
So next time you ask for a set of wheels, who wrongly assumed there would be 4 , not 3? (That one's extra of course!!)
(Note:- No association with Trotters Independent Traders Co - NY - Paris - Peckham)

The bigger the house the more space people have, the greater flexibility they have and the more sockets they need.

buying a new house and having extension leads running everywhere rather spoils the looks

If I’m agreeing a spec for a refurb I go for a minimum of 1 x 2 gang in each corner, 2 x 2g where a tv point is, 1 in the loft, minimum 2 x 2g in the garage, etc
I like to install a double socket either side of the bed. Nearly everyone has bedside cabinets with phones on charge, lamps and a clock/radio alarm

The builder either saves on build costs (straight to profit) or sells extra sockets at a stupid (profit) upgrade price

Nothing the volume housebuilders do is done that way for any reason apart from profit

cutting costs and putting in the absolute minimum they can get away with

starting the 2nd factory last week on a new estate... as built, bare minimum fitted... lights in the office & toilets, 2x sockets. and thats it. workshop has nothing other than an MCCB panel. didnt even run a supply to the loading bay doors... on the plus side, they left a spare MCCB all marked and ready to wire the workshop DB into.... shame they could only afford a 63a MCCB off a 250a supply though...

I think they call it Upselling, no common sense just take more money from a captive customer......even my dentist does it.

I think they call it Upselling, no common sense just take more money from a captive customer......even my dentist does it.

I call it barely meeting the NHBC guidelines.

3 double sockets in a room that size - pure nonsense. Guide lines should be minimum per sq m - eg so in larger rooms 1 socket per 4 sq meters

Just proves how useless yet another "body" is

Another recent new build farce was no sockets on the "inside" of the outside walls - so extremely hard to add outside sockets, and no outside lights by the back door or patio door - also extremely difficult to add. Would hardly cost anything to add at build stage yet not done

Another recent new build farce was no sockets on the "inside" of the outside walls - so extremely hard to add outside sockets, and no outside lights by the back door or patio door - also extremely difficult to add. Would hardly cost anything to add at build stage yet not done
Seen that before, it saves worries about insulation on external walls, apart from just being easier to do.

I've watched some new houses going up near me. They appear to build what are effectively wooden crates with plywood and scant, cover the outside with foam insulation slabs, then bring in the brickies to add an outer skin. Presumably the inside gets the dab and plasterboard treatment.
So just how do you go about adding electrics either inside or outside of those walls? Just by hacking chunks out of the plasterboard? cutting into the plyboard for flush boxes? drilling through the wall whilst hoping to avoid structural timbers?